Completeness and Denseness in Metric Spaces

• Thread starter _DJ_british_?
  • Start date
In summary, having a dense subset in a metric space does not necessarily imply that the space is complete. This is because a dense set does not have to contain its limit points, which a complete space must have. An example is the space formed by deleting 0 from the real line, where the rationals are dense but the space is not complete. To be complete, a metric space must have every Cauchy sequence converge within the space itself, not just within a dense subset. Every metric space can be completed by adding all limits of Cauchy sequences, but this is not enough to guarantee completeness. Therefore, completeness must be evaluated by looking at sequences in the space itself, not just in a dense subset.
_DJ_british_?
I have a little question that's bothering me : Suppose you have a metric space X with a dense subset A. Can we say that X is complete? I mean that if a metric space have a dense subset, is it necessarily complete? I know that the inverse is true (that every complete metric space have a dense subset) so I was wondering about it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, no, I don't think so because a dense set does not have to contain it's limit points (a complete space would have to).

X is a dense subset of X.

Suppose X is the space formed by deleting 0 from the real line. Then the rationals are dense in X, but X is not complete.

Hurkyl said:
X is a dense subset of X.

Right. I didn't think about that, thanks. So it means that having a dense subset doesn't imply a metric space is complete.

awkward said:
Suppose X is the space formed by deleting 0 from the real line. Then the rationals are dense in X, but X is not complete.

And that's a nice exemple, thanks too!

If X has a dense subset A, then for every point x of X there is sequence in A converging to x. But for X to be complete, every Cauchy-sequence in X has to converge in X.

If X is not complete, then there are sequences in X which "want to converge" to some element which is not in X. (This might sound vague: in the standard example of a sequence in Q "wanting to converge to sqrt{2}" it is obvious because we know that Q sits in R so we know that sqrt{2} exists. But what if we don't have an obvious "larger space"? This can be made precise: every metric space admits a "completion", which basically amounts to adding all "limits of Cauchy sequences". See here for details.) So for completeness you really need to look at sequences in X, it is not enough to look at sequences in a dense subset.

1. What is completeness?

Completeness refers to the quality of being whole or including all necessary parts. In mathematics, completeness typically refers to the property of a mathematical system or space to contain all numbers or points within a given range.

2. What is denseness?

Denseness refers to the quality of being tightly packed or dense. In mathematics, denseness typically refers to the property of a set to contain elements that are arbitrarily close together, making it difficult to find gaps or holes in the set.

3. How are completeness and denseness related?

In mathematics, completeness and denseness are often used in conjunction with each other. A set can be both dense and complete, meaning that it contains all points within a given range and those points are tightly packed together. However, a set can also be dense but not complete, or complete but not dense.

4. Why are completeness and denseness important in mathematics?

Completeness and denseness are important concepts in mathematics because they allow us to describe and analyze the properties of numbers and sets in a more precise and comprehensive manner. They also have important applications in fields such as analysis, topology, and measure theory.

5. How can completeness and denseness be proven or disproven?

The completeness or denseness of a set can be proven or disproven using mathematical tools such as the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the Cauchy criterion, or the Archimedean property. These tools provide criteria for determining whether a set is complete, dense, or both.