1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completeness of R^m

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    I'm reading through Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis and one of the theorems he puts down states that "R^m is complete". I assume the superscript refers to it being metric as that's what he's talking about right before this theorem. Anyway, the proof seems -to me- circular. I was hoping someone could show me why it isn't or perhaps that I'm expecting too much.

It says:

let p be a Cauchy sequence in R^m. express p in component form p={p1,p2,p3,...pmn}. Because p is Cauchy, each component sequence is Cauchy. Completeness of R implies that the component sequences converge, and therefore the vector sequence converges.

I dunno, but for some reason, and I've read it over 20+ times, that seems like circular reasoning.

(Sorry for being to lazy to post in Latex format)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2
    I think [itex]\mathbb R^m[/itex] refers to an m-dimensional real vector space. If so then he's proving the m-dimensional space to be complete using the fact that the 1-dimensional real line is complete.

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3
    Ah, you pointing that out and me re-reading the proof makes it more clear. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook