1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completing the square problem

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    hi guys.
    If f(x) = x4 + 2x3 + 5x2 - 16x - 20, show that f(x) can be expressed in the form (x2 + x + a)2 - 4(x + b)2, where a and b are constant to be determined.

Hence, or otherwise, find both the real roots of the eqaution f(x) = 0. Find also the set of values of x such that f(x) > 0.

I tried completing the square
    but i found
    (x2 + x + (4x+30)/8)2 - 4[(x2)/16 + 4x + 185/32]

my a and b is WAY too off the answer, which is a = 4 and b = 3. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You are given the answer in terms of a,b. So what you have to do is to expand out that answer and simply compare coefficients of powers of x to find out a,b.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  4. Jul 4, 2008 #3
    i have to find a and b first. I think i expand it wrongly. How should i complete the square for x^4 + 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 16x - 20 ? I tried again. I did :

(x^2 + x + 5/2)^2 - x^2 - 25/4 - 16x - 20. Correct?

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Did the question tell you to complete the square? If not, you have x^4 + 2x^3 + 5x^2 -16x - 20 = (x^2+x+a)^2 - 4(x+b)^2. All you need to do is to expand out the RHS and compare the coefficients to get the values of a,b.

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5
    Oh ya... that is way easier ... dammit. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?