1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completing the square

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello,
    I was working on a lengthy problem and got stuck on something simple. I have a quadratic expression 4(x^2) - 4x + 3 that I should have been able to complete the square on to rewrite as (2x - 1)^2 + 2
    My knowledge of applying this technique when a coefficient is attached to the leading term is rusty so I got out my old algebra books. The solution they offered was to set 4(x^2) - 4x + 3 = 0
    and then divide each side by four. With the coefficient removed, then the square can be completed the usual way. But this isn't giving me what I need at all.
    Any advice on this technique?

Thanks mucho!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you set aside the quadratic and linear terms, you can factor by grouping as in the following example:

3x2-12x+2
    (3x2-12x)+2
    3(x2-4x)+2

Note that I have factored the 3 out of the first two terms only. Now, I complete the square inside the parenteses.

3(x2-4x+4)+2-12

Note the parts in red. I added 4 to the expression in parentheses, but that 4 was multiplied by 3 to make 12. So, to keep the expression equal to my original expression, I subtract 12 (not 4) from it.

Finally, I factor the perfect square in parentheses and collect terms.

3(x-2)2-10

edit: typo

4. Feb 23, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Tom. Glad to see you are still on the homework help boards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?