1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completing The Square

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    I never usually have a problem with it but this threw me because of the y terms.

x^4 + 2x^2 + y^4 -2y^2 + 3

i reduced it to

(x^2 + 1)^2 -1 + (y^2 -1)^2 -1 +3
    =(x^2 + 1)^2 + (y^2 -1)^2 +1

but the question asks for "the smallest value (for real x and y)"
    although judging by the answer to the last question, its the smallest y value.
    how do i determin the value?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    I didn't quite get what you meant by smallest value. But I'm assuming as follows,

The least value of the function (x^2+1)^2+(Y^2-1)^2+1 for which x,y are real, which can be found out by putting x=0,y=1. So the answer comes out to be 2.

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    where did you get 0 and 1 from? trial and error?
    you are correct though,
    thank you

edit: dont worry i can see now

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    Yes, through trial and error. Maybe someone else might be able to help you with the actual method.

6. Sep 15, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would interpret "the smallest value (for real x and y)" as meaning the smallest value for the expression. Since x^2+ 1 and y^2- 1 both squared (and we are told that x and y must be real) neither can be negative. The total will have the smallest value which each of those has its smallest value. What is the smallest that x^2+ 1 can be? What is the smallest y^2- 1 can be?

Oh, by the way -1+ 3= 2, not 1!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?