What is Completing the Square and How Does it Solve Quadratic Equations?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, completing the square is a technique used to solve quadratic equations by manipulating the equation to have a perfect square on one side, allowing for easy solution. This is done by dividing the equation by a constant, taking half of the coefficient of the x term, and adding and subtracting this value to create a perfect square. This method is often illustrated with visual aids and examples to aid in understanding.
_Mayday_
Hey, I've never quite understood this technique of solving quadratic equations. It is something that has started to get to me now, as it restricts some of the things I can do in my work at school. Could anyone give me an in depth explanation of what it entails. My school textbook does not cover it.

Thank you. :shy:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey, Mayday,

Do NOT feel bad by this comment, but completing the square is very easy to understand especially IF YOU ARE SHOWN THE RIGHT PICTURE to represent it.

I could send you a figure drawn with msPaint (because I am not technically skilled with this forum to put a picture into a forum message). You can find this derivation shown if you try an internet search. Any way, let x be the side of a square. Extend the length of this square to form a rectangle. Let b be the length that reaches beyond the x. ... this is getting hard to explain for the picture. I really want to show the picture.

any way, you look at x^2 + bx, and that is what you want to add a square term onto.

My explanation is not very clear, so I will do my own internet search and post something suitable in this thread. I wish I could be more thorough right now on-forum.

OKAY, THIS WILL HELP YOU, MAYDAY:

http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~swalsh/Math%20Articles/GeomCS.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you two, I'll check those out. =]

Here's another way to tell the story, with an example, if it helps.

If you want to solve an equation like
[tex]
3 x^2 + 2 x - 5 = 0
[/tex]​
first, you divide the whole thing by 3 (in order to leave the [tex]x^2[/tex] alone), so that now it looks like
[tex]
x^2 + \frac 2 3 x - \frac 5 3 = 0
[/tex]​
Now, you take half the coefficient of x, that is, the half of [tex]\frac 2 3[/tex] which is [tex]\frac 1 3[/tex]
and "complete the square" by building this (explanation later):
[tex]
\left(x + \frac 1 3 \right)^2 - \left( \frac 1 3 \right)^2 - \frac 5 3 = 0
[/tex]​
The [tex]- \left( \frac 1 3 \right)^2 - \frac 5 3[/tex] part is a constant, that you can combine into a single number, which in this case is [tex]-\frac 1 9 - \frac 5 3 = \frac {-1 - 15} 9 = -\frac {16} 9[/tex]
so that your equation now looks like
[tex]
\left(x + \frac 1 3 \right)^2 - \frac {16} 9 = 0
[/tex]​
and since x appears only once, now you can solve for it:
[tex]
x = \pm \sqrt {\frac {16} 9} - \frac 1 3 = \pm \frac 4 3 - \frac 1 3
[/tex]​
giving the two solutions, 1 and -5/3.
Easy!

. . .

The trick was to change this:
[tex]
x^2 + \frac 2 3 x
[/tex]​
into this:
[tex]
\left(x + \frac 1 3 \right)^2 - \left( \frac 1 3 \right)^2
[/tex]​
If you expand [tex]\left(x + \frac 1 3 \right)^2[/tex] you will notice why.

1. What is the purpose of completing the square?

Completing the square is a technique used in algebra to solve quadratic equations. It is used to rewrite a quadratic equation in a standard form, making it easier to find the solutions.

2. How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, follow these steps: 1. Move the constant term to the right side of the equation.2. Divide the coefficient of the x^2 term by 2 and square it.3. Add this value to both sides of the equation.4. Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side.5. Take the square root of both sides.6. Simplify and solve for x.

3. What are the benefits of completing the square?

Completing the square allows us to solve quadratic equations that cannot be solved using other methods. It also helps us to find the vertex of a parabola, which can provide useful information in real-world applications.

4. Can completing the square be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, completing the square can be used for all quadratic equations. However, it is most useful for equations that cannot be easily solved using other methods, such as equations with irrational or complex solutions.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for completing the square?

Yes, there is a formula for completing the square: x^2 + bx = (x + b/2)^2 - b^2/4. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in completing the square in order to use this formula effectively.