How do I complete the square for x^2 + y^2 - 2pxy?

• Thread starter tuanle007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, completing the square is a method used to rearrange an expression into the form of a perfect square. This is done by adding or subtracting a constant term to both sides of the equation. The missing portion is then added back in, completing the square. The process can be visualized by rearranging a rectangle into a square. The next step involves factoring and simplifying the expression to get the desired result.
tuanle007
x^2 + y^2 - 2pxy = (x-py)^2 - (py)^2 + y^2

can someone please help me with this. i totally forgot how to do completing the square.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tuanle007 said:
x^2 + y^2 - 2pxy = (x-py)^2 - (py)^2 + y^2

can someone please help me with this. i totally forgot how to do completing the square.

you yust did complete the square. you only have a term of the form (x-A)^2 left and terms that do not depend on x.

Last edited:
When you perform the right-hand side multiplication and simplification, the right-hand side becomes x^2 + y^2 - 2pxy, which is the same as the left-hand side. Why do you want to complete the squares on this?

yeah...thats my teacher doing that..
i just want to refresh my memory on how that work..
i still don't understand...can you clearly described the steps

tuanle007 - Completing the square is based on starting with a rectangle and rearaanging part of it to form the sides of a square, and arithmetically & geometrically adding the missing portion in order to COMPLETE the square.

Example: x*x + b*x, where b is a constant, x is a variable. The expression can represent a rectangle with x and x+b. Notice carefully that the expression can be factored as x(x + b) = x*x + b*x.

If you draw a picture, you can see this and more in a clearer manner. Assume the height is x, and the length from left to right is x+b. Go to the middle of the 'b' portion starting at the top and cut this part in half, cutting vertically. Take the piece off, and reposition it on the left side of the entire figure so that you now have the left side of the square being x+b/2, and the top side of the square being also x+b/2. Notice now that a piece is missing at the bottom right. What is it and how much is it? It is (b/2)*(b/2).

Hopefully you can follow and understand that; the rest is up to you. How far can you go now?

tuanle007 said:
yeah...thats my teacher doing that..
i just want to refresh my memory on how that work..
i still don't understand...can you clearly described the steps

I tried uploading a figure about my previous post; not sure it will work.

Attachments

• complete_square.bmp
    260.9 KB · Views: 519
i think i kinda remember it now..
what i did was I put everything on the left side as X and everything on the right as Y
so i have
x^2 - 2pxy = -y^2
then I complete the X on the left side
(x^2 - 2pxy) + (2py/2)^2 = -y^2 + (2py/2)^2

the left side factored out to be

(x-py)^2 = -y^2 + py^2
so then move everything to the left we get

(x-py)^2 + y^2 - py^2

ok, i understand the completing the square part,
but can someone explain how the next step is..
where does the (1-p)^2 comes about and things like that
thanks

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 468
tuanle007 said:
thanks

That expression was not part of your original equation. Also, 'p' was not specifically called a constant nor variable.

tuanle007 said:
i think i kinda remember it now..
what i did was I put everything on the left side as X and everything on the right as Y
so i have
x^2 - 2pxy = -y^2
then I complete the X on the left side
(x^2 - 2pxy) + (2py/2)^2 = -y^2 + (2py/2)^2

the left side factored out to be

(x-py)^2 = -y^2 + py^2
so then move everything to the left we get

(x-py)^2 + y^2 - py^2

tuanle007 said:
thanks
That's the easy part! Long before you learned to "complete the square" you learned that "ax+ ay= a(x+ y)", the "distributive law" in technical terms. There is a y^2 term in both y^2 and -py^2 so : y^2- py^2= y^2(1)- y^2(p)= y^2(1- p).

yeah..i figured it out after i sat there for 2 hours..
you guys are the best..

What is "Completing the square"?

"Completing the square" is a mathematical technique used to solve quadratic equations. It involves manipulating the equation in order to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved by taking the square root of both sides.

Why is "Completing the square" useful?

"Completing the square" is useful because it provides a systematic way to solve quadratic equations, which are commonly used in many areas of science and mathematics. It also allows us to find the vertex of a parabola, which has many practical applications.

What are the steps for completing the square?

The steps for completing the square are as follows:

1. Move the constant term to the other side of the equation.
  2. Divide the coefficient of the x² term by 2.
  3. Square the result from step 2.
  4. Add the squared result to both sides of the equation.
  5. Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side of the equation.
  6. Take the square root of both sides.
  7. Solve for x.

When should "Completing the square" be used?

"Completing the square" should be used when solving quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored or when finding the vertex of a parabola. It is also used in some geometric and optimization problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing the square?

Some common mistakes to avoid when completing the square include forgetting to divide the coefficient of the x² term by 2, making mistakes when squaring the result, and forgetting to add the squared result to both sides of the equation. It is important to carefully follow each step to avoid errors.