Completing the Square for Quadratic Forms

• Thread starter Entertainment
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the signature of the given quadratic forms are as follows:a) h(x,y) = xy -> Signature: (1,-1)b) h(x,y,z) = yz -> Signature: (1,-1,0)c) h(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + 2xy + 2xz + yz -> Signature: (1,1,-1)
Entertainment

Homework Statement

Complete the square to determine the signature of the following quadratic forms:

a) [tex]h(x,y) = xy[/tex]
b) [tex]h(x,y,z) = yz[/tex]
c) [tex]h(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + 2xy + 2xz + yz[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect there's a really simple trick to this, but I can't seem to figure it out at the moment.

For c), we get [tex]h(x,y,z) = x^2 + 2xy + 2xz + y^2 + yz + z^2 = x^2 + 2x(y+z) + y^2 + yz + z^2 = (x+y+z)^2 - (y+z)^2 + y^2 + yz + z^2 = (x+y+z)^2 - yz[/tex], but I suspect that would require a solution of b) to get further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write [tex]xy[/tex] as a sum of quadratic terms? Hint: You might have to square the sum of two things.

fzero said:
Can you write [tex]xy[/tex] as a sum of quadratic terms? Hint: You might have to square the sum of two things.

After messing around a bit, I found that

a) [tex]xy = (x+\dfrac{y}{4})^2 - (x-\dfrac{y}{4})^2[/tex]
Signature: (1,-1)

b) Similar to a): [tex]yz = (y+\dfrac{z}{4})^2 - (y-\dfrac{z}{4})^2[/tex]
Signature: (1,-1,0)

c) Continuing from before, and using b); [tex](x+y+z)^2 - yz = (x+y+z)^2 + (y-\frac{z}{4})^2 - (y+\frac{z}{4})^2[/tex]
Signature: (1,1,-1)

Am I overlooking something?

The signature of a quadratic form is usually defined as the number of positive eigenvalues minus the number of negative eigenvalues of the corresponding matrix. You can compute this from your results.

1. What is completing the square?

Completing the square is a mathematical technique used to solve quadratic equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved using the square root property.

2. Why is completing the square useful?

Completing the square is useful because it provides a method for solving quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored or solved using the quadratic formula. It is also helpful in graphing quadratic equations and finding the vertex of a parabola.

3. How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, follow these steps:

• Move the constant term (c) to the right side of the equation.
  • Divide the coefficient of x by 2 and square the result.
  • Add the squared term to both sides of the equation.
  • Factor the left side of the equation into a perfect square trinomial.
  • Take the square root of both sides of the equation.
  • Solve for x by isolating the variable.

4. When should I use completing the square?

Completing the square is typically used when a quadratic equation cannot be easily factored or when the quadratic formula would result in complex solutions. It is also useful in certain applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

5. Are there any drawbacks to completing the square?

One potential drawback to completing the square is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for equations with large coefficients. It also requires a solid understanding of algebraic manipulation and may not be the most intuitive method for solving quadratic equations for some individuals.