1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completing the Square

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a charged particle of mass m in a harmonic potential and in the presence also of an
    external electric field E = E[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]. The potential for this problem is simply

V(x) = 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - qεx

where q is the charge of the particle.

1) Show that a simple change of variables turns this problem into one of a particle under
    only a harmonic oscillator potential. (Hint: Complete the square.)

2. Relevant equations

(ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = a[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 2abx + b[itex]^{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know the way to simplify the potential is by completing the square. I only know the way of completing the square when a quadratic equation is equal to 0 but in this case it's a function. So with that formula for (ax-b)[itex]^{2}[/itex] I believe 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex] is a[itex]^{2}[/itex] and -2ab is -qε but I'm unsure.

So what I got was that b = qε/(2mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]) so the equation is

V(x) = 1/2 mw[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - qεx + q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex] - q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex] = ([itex]\sqrt{1/2 mw^{2}}x[/itex] - qε/[itex]\sqrt{2mw^2}[/itex])^2 - q[itex]^{2}[/itex]ε[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m[itex]w^{2}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have to have an equation. Here's an example, complete the square on: ##2x^2-12x##. You factor out the ##2## getting ##2(x^2-6x)##. Now inside the parentheses you need a ##9## so add it and subtract it: ##2(x^2-6x + 9 - 9)## which is the same as ##2(x-3)^2 - 18##. Try something like that.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Cool yeah, I did it the way you suggested and got the same answer as I did in my original post. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted