1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completing the squarehelp

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Hi, how do you complete this square x2+y2=2x

To get this result (x-1)2+y2=1

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write it as ##(x^2 - 2x\quad\quad)+y^2 = 0## Then figure out what number you can add to both sides to fill in the blank and make the quantity in parentheses a perfect square.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Using number properties to have each variable on either one side or the other, you obtain:

x2-2x=y2

The expression on the left side is not a square; you WANT a square. The expression can be factored,

x(x-2) = y2.

Notice you can represent the left hand side as a rectangular area with a picture (if you wanted). One side is x long and the other side is x-2 long. Nevermind the negative or subtraction; but if you could split the "-2" in half and reposition one of those halves along the other part of the length, x, (this really needs a picture for you to see), then you would see a missing square piece on a corner. The area of this missing square piece is (2/2) by (2/2), or 1 by 1 square units. This is 1 square unit, to "complete the square".

Continuing then, add 1 to both sides of the equation:

x2-2x+1=y2+1

As I said, a picture will help to show this completion of the square. Can you finish the problem from here?
    EDIT: I posted this too quickly and I believe I made a sign mistake.

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4
    Ahh Yess If you add one one both sides it works :)
    thank you!!

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That's it. When you find the quantity, be sure to add it to both sides of the equation.
    EDIT: Good, you found it already.

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6
    By the way, i always feel like i get competent understandable explanations in this forum. Are some of you teachers? Or just very devoted in helping others understand?

8. Nov 12, 2012 #7
    Although this already has been answered, I would just like to give something I believe is missing:
    As said: x^2-2x = -y^2.
    As said also, x^2-2x = x(x-2), now were looking for a perfect square, you can do any number, but easy ones will be (x-2)^2. Now we calculate (x-2)^2 = x^2-2x+4. So we need to add 4 to both sides, that is x^2-2x+4 = 4-y^2. Taking the square root (this is what we planned everything for, we made sure the left side will be a nice root):
    (x-2)^2 = (2+y)(2-y), taking the square root yields:
    x-2 = sqrt((2+y)(2-y)
    so x = 2+ sqrt((2+y)(2-y)

Bonaparte

9. Nov 12, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have some of everything: Other students, High School teachers, graduate students, and both active and retired university professors as well as working professionals.

10. Nov 12, 2012 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

[tex](x-2)^2=x^2-4x+4[/tex]

These steps aren't needed because the problem was to complete the square, not to solve for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook