Completion of Metric Space Proof from Intro. to Func. Analysis w/ Applications

In summary, the proof from "Introduction to Functional Analysis with Applications" shows that for any metric space X, there exists a complete metric space \hat{X} which has a subspace W that is isometric with X and is dense in \hat{X}. The proof is divided into three parts: (a) and (b) explain the concept of completeness and isometric spaces, while (c) proves the completeness of \hat{X} by using the fact that W is dense in \hat{X}. To ensure the uniqueness of limits in \hat{X}, which is necessary for the completeness proof, the value \frac{1}{n} is chosen instead of any ε > 0.
Petrarch
Completion of Metric Space Proof from "Intro. to Func. Analysis w/ Applications"

Homework Statement

I have started studying Functional Analysis following "Introduction to Functional Analysis with Applications". In chapter 1-6 there is the following proof

For any metric space [itex]X[/itex], there is a complete metric space [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] which has a subspace [itex]W[/itex] that is isometric with [itex]X[/itex] and is dense in [itex]\hat{X}[/itex]

(Page 1 & 2) http://i.imgur.com/CRXjh.png
(Page 3 & 4) http://i.imgur.com/PogqC.png

I think I understand parts (a) and (b). At the top of page 3, section (c) where it is proving [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] is complete it states:

Let [itex](\hat{x_{n}})[/itex] be any Cauchy Sequence in [itex]\hat{X}[/itex]. Since [itex]W[/itex] is dense in [itex]\hat{X}[/itex], for every [itex]\hat{x_{n}}[/itex], there is a [itex]\hat{z_{n}}\varepsilon W[/itex] such that [itex]\hat{d}(\hat{x_{n}},\hat{z_{n}}) < \frac{1}{n}[/itex]

I do not understand why we choose [itex] \frac{1}{n}[/itex], would some ε > 0, for each n, not suffice? I assume it must not, but I don't see why, so I must not understand this proof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am pretty dumb and this has puzzled me for a couple days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Not applicable. The Attempt at a SolutionWe choose \frac{1}{n} because if we were to pick any ε > 0, it is possible that two distinct Cauchy sequences could converge to the same limit, which would violate the uniqueness of limits in a metric space. By choosing \frac{1}{n} for each n, we guarantee the uniqueness of limits in \hat{X}.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between any two points in a set. It is a generalization of the concept of distance in Euclidean space, and can include both finite and infinite sets.

2. What is the completion of a metric space?

The completion of a metric space is a process of adding new points to a given metric space in order to make it "complete." This means that all Cauchy sequences in the original metric space will converge to a point in the completed space.

3. How is the completion of a metric space related to functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear operators. The completion of a metric space is important in functional analysis because it allows for the study of functions that are not defined on the original metric space, but on its completion.

4. What are some applications of completion of metric spaces?

The completion of metric spaces has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of analysis and geometry. It is used to define and study various types of functions, such as continuous and differentiable functions, and is also important in the study of geometric structures and their properties.

5. How is the completion of a metric space proved?

The proof of completion of a metric space involves showing that the new points added to the original space satisfy the properties of a complete metric space, including being able to converge to a point in the completed space. This is typically done by constructing a Cauchy sequence and showing that it converges to a point in the completed space.