Solving Completion Problem: Showing Null Sequences Converge

• Thread starter homology
  • Start date
In summary: Let x(m)_n be the n'th entry in the m'th sequence.we know that for all n |x(p)_n-x(q)_n| is less than the max over n and that the max is cuachy, that tells us that if we fix an n, the n'th terms of the sequences are cauchy hence they converge to y_n since C is complete. Now you must show that y_n tends to zero as n tends to infinity.For any number e>0 there exists an N such that for all p>N |y_n - x(p)_n|<e
homology
I'm finding that I'm not very good at showing that a space is complete. I was wondering if you could help me out.

Consider the space of null sequences. That is, sequences of complex numbers that converge to zero. It has a max norm. So if x is a sequence the norm of x, |x| = max |a_n| where the max ranges over n.

So we need to take a cauchy seqence of elements and show that it converges to a null sequence. I'm just not sure how to do it. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
this isn't a linear algebra problem, post it in analysis.

sure it is

Does it really matter?

Sounds more like it belongs in homework to me!

Anyways, have you tried anything at all?

homology said:
Does it really matter?

it isn't an algebra question, it is analysis, it deals with the completeness in an analytical sense of the word, it doesn't get to be more analytic than that. and if you post it in the 'wrong' thread people may choose not to read it though they may be able to supply an answer.

Yeah I've at least applied the definitions of cauchy sequences. I'm new at this completion deal. I've never proved anything like it before, so I'm not sure how to show that there is something in the space to which this sequence converges.
So the elements of the sequence, which are sequences, are getting closer together in the sense of the max norm. I can write that down but what next? There doesn't seem to be anything preceding the problem in the text that helps.

homology

Let x(m)_n be the n'th entry in the m'th sequence.

we know that for all n |x(p)_n-x(q)_n| is less than the max over n and that the max is cuachy, that tells us that if we fix an n, the n'th terms of the sequences are cauchy hence they converge to y_n since C is complete. Now you must show that y_n tends to zero as n tends to infinity.

Okay so now we have this sequence {y_n} and we need to show that it converges to zero. how about the following:

For any number e>0 there exists an N such that for all p>N
|y_n - x(p)_n|<e

Now if you took the limit of both sides with respect to n, you'd get

lim |y_n| < e

But e is arbitrary so lim|y_n| = 0.

Feel free to shoot me down, I appreciate the help.

homology

1. What is a completion problem?

A completion problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a sequence, or the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It is also known as a convergence problem.

2. What are null sequences?

A null sequence is a sequence in which the terms become increasingly small and eventually approach zero. This means that the limit of the sequence is equal to zero.

3. How do you show that null sequences converge?

To show that null sequences converge, you must prove that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to zero as the number of terms increases. This can be done using mathematical proofs or by showing that the sequence satisfies the definition of convergence.

4. What is the importance of solving completion problems?

Solving completion problems is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the behavior of sequences and their limits. It also has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance, where it is used to model and predict the behavior of systems.

5. Are there any strategies for solving completion problems?

Yes, there are several strategies for solving completion problems, including using mathematical theorems and definitions, using algebraic techniques to manipulate the terms of the sequence, and using limit laws and properties to simplify the problem. It is also helpful to practice and develop a strong understanding of the concept of convergence.