Complex Algebra Help: Finding u(x,y) & Proving Result

In summary, the problem requires finding the real valued function u(x,y), given two equations involving its partial derivatives with respect to x and y. After integrating and reasoning logically, the solution is found to be u(x,y) = xy + c, where c is a constant or possibly a function of y. The solution is proven by differentiating with respect to y and determining that the resulting expression must equal x, leading to the conclusion that c must be a constant.
rsnd

Homework Statement

I am told: [itex]{\frac {{\it du}}{{\it dx}}}=y[/itex] and [itex]{\frac {{\it du}}{{\it dy}}}=x[/itex]. Need to find u(x,y) which is a real valued function and prove the result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think the answer is of the form u(x,y) = xy + c because the answer makes sense but how should I go about proving it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By integrating and reasoning logically.

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=y[/tex]

Therefor, integrating wrt x:

[tex]\int\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}dx=\int ydx[/tex]

[tex]u(x,y)= yx+\phi(y)[/tex]

phi(y) is kind of like the constant of integration, but we reckon that in the most general case, it may actually be a function of y. Make sure you understand why.

We can do the same with the other equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=x[/tex]

[tex]u(x,y)=xy+\psi(x)[/tex]

Now compare the two equations. What do you conclude about the forms of [itex]\phi(y)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]?

I would have done this slightly differently.
You are given that
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= y[/tex]
so [itex]u(x,y)= xy+ \phi (y)[/itex]
as quasar987 said.

Now differentiate that with respect to y:
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= x+ \frac{d\phi}{dy}[/tex]
and that must be equal to x. What does that tell you about
[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dy}[/tex]?

(I said slightly differently!)

What is "Complex Algebra"?

"Complex Algebra" refers to the study of algebraic structures and operations involving complex numbers, which are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

How do you find u(x,y) in complex algebra?

To find u(x,y) in complex algebra, you can use the formula u(x,y) = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers. This formula represents a complex number in the form of a + bi, where a = x and b = y.

What does it mean to prove a result in complex algebra?

To prove a result in complex algebra means to show that a certain statement or equation is true for all complex numbers, using mathematical reasoning and evidence. This is important in order to establish the validity of mathematical concepts and theories.

What is the difference between real and complex algebra?

The main difference between real and complex algebra is that complex algebra involves operations with complex numbers, while real algebra involves operations with only real numbers. Additionally, complex algebra has additional rules and properties, such as the conjugate, that do not apply in real algebra.

How can I improve my skills in complex algebra?

To improve your skills in complex algebra, you can practice solving problems and equations involving complex numbers regularly. You can also attend lectures or workshops, consult textbooks or online resources, and seek guidance from a tutor or instructor if needed.