Complex Amplitude: Physical Meaning & Significance

In summary, the complex nature of the amplitudes used in Schrodinger's equation may not have a physical significance beyond being a mathematical shortcut. This is because the dot product of the complex field is the same as the sum of the dot products of the two independent real fields of the second order equation. However, if we were to encounter a situation with nonlinear behavior, the use of complex variables may reveal different results. Ultimately, the distinction between what is physically significant and what is a mathematical convenience is not always clear, as seen in the example of conservation of energy. The profound aspect of quantum amplitudes lies in their ability to interfere and potentially make certain outcomes less likely, which is expressed through the use of complex amplitudes in
MadRocketSci2
I am curious about the complex nature of the amplitudes used in Schrodinger's equation, and what (if anything) it means physically.

I ran across this topic being discussed sometime in the past on this forum, and several posters alluded to some deep significance to this fact, but didn't provide anything specific.

I'm not seeing it so far. It appears to me that the complex valued amplitudes are just a mathematical shortcut and don't appear to have any physical meaning beyond that. It appears to basically reduce the usual second order wave equation with two fields to a 1st order wave equation with one field. You still have all the same degrees of freedom, they're just pasted together in the same variable, taking advantage of linearity. (A differential equation version of the EE trick for handling sin-wave signals).

The dot product of the complex field is the same as the sum of the dot products of the two independent real fields of the second order equation. Nothing new there.

I suppose the real significance would be if you were dealing with a nonlinear equation. In my reading so far, it is claimed that the laws of QM are linear in all cases measured so far. If we were to ever encounter a situation with nonlinear behavior, I would anticipate the nonlinearity to look different operating on a complex variable, versus two real ones. (Either that, or you would just come up with different looking operators for each case to reproduce the same behavior in the model.)

So what's the significance? Where does mathematical convenience end and a concrete statement about the operations of physical law begin? (Or is it all mathematical convenience, using higher DOF mathematical objects at all in the first place?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say there's no obvious distinction between what is physically significant and what is a mathematical convenience. Conservation of energy, for example, is just a mathematical convenience-- we define energy to be whatever it needs to be to be conserved. But you can hardly find a more profound physical principle! What is profound about quantum amplitudes is that they can interfere, so we replace the classical idea that something that can happen in more than one way is more likely to happen with the possibility that it could be less likely by virtue of having multiple ways of happening. Expressing that profundity by using complex ampitudes is just a mathematical convenience-- and the World Cup championship is just a football game.

1. What is the physical meaning of complex amplitude?

The complex amplitude is a mathematical representation of the physical properties of a wave, including its amplitude and phase. It describes the magnitude and direction of the wave's oscillations at a particular point in space and time.

2. How is complex amplitude related to real amplitude?

The complex amplitude is related to the real amplitude by the equation A = |C|, where A is the real amplitude and C is the complex amplitude. This means that the real amplitude is the magnitude of the complex amplitude.

3. What is the significance of complex amplitude in wave mechanics?

In wave mechanics, the complex amplitude is used to describe the behavior and properties of waves, such as light and sound. It allows us to mathematically model and analyze the behavior of waves in different mediums and situations.

4. How does the phase of complex amplitude affect the physical properties of a wave?

The phase of complex amplitude determines the position and direction of the wave's oscillations. It can affect the interference and diffraction patterns of waves, as well as the overall energy and intensity of the wave.

5. Can complex amplitude be used to describe all types of waves?

Yes, complex amplitude can be used to describe all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is a universal concept in wave mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of all types of waves.