Evaluating Integrals Using Residues and Proving Complex Analysis Equations

In summary, the conversation involves discussing how to evaluate integrals using residues, as well as proving a specific integral using residues. The main method used is finding the residues at specific points and then using a clever choice of arcs to integrate over. The process can be tedious but the method is generally clear.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1. Evaluate the following integrals using residues:
a)

[tex]\int _0 ^{\infty} \frac{x^{1/4}}{1 + x^3}dx[/tex]

b)

[tex]\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{\cos (x)}{1 + x^4}dx[/tex]

c)

[tex]\int _0 ^{\infty} \frac{dx}{p(x)}[/tex]

where p(x) is a poly. with no zeros on {x > 0}

d)

[tex]\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty}\frac{\sin ^2(x)}{x^2}dx[/tex]

2. Let A be a complex constant lying outside the real interval [-1,1]. Using residues, prove that:

[tex]\int _{-1} ^1 \frac{dx}{(x-A)\sqrt{1-x^2}} = \frac{\pi }{\sqrt{A^2 - 1}}[/tex],

with the appropriate determination of [itex]\sqrt{A^2 - 1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Let f(z) be analytic except for isolated singularities aj in a region [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Then

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int _{\gamma }f(z)dz = \sum _j n(\gamma , a_j)\mbox{Res} _{z=a_j}f(z)[/tex]

for any cycle [itex]\gamma[/itex] which is homologous to zero in [itex]\Omega[/itex] and does not pass through any of the points aj.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.a) I made the substitution z = x1/4, giving:

[tex]\int _0 _{\infty} \frac{x^{1/4}}{1 + x^3}dx[/tex]

[tex]= 4\int _0 ^{\infty} \frac{z^4}{1 + z^{12}}dz[/tex]

[tex] = 2\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{z^4}{1 + z^{12}}dz[/tex]

[tex] = 4\pi i\sum _{\mbox{Im} (z) > 0}\mbox{Res}f(z)[/tex]

I know how to give expressions for these residues, but I don't know a good way to compute this thing. I've used rotationaly symmetry to express this as (a sum of 6 things) times (one of the residues) but it's still ugly.

b)

[tex]\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{\cos x}{1 + x^4}dx[/tex]

[tex] = \mbox{Re}\left (\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{1 + x^4}dx \right )[/tex]

[tex] = \mbox{Re}\left (2\pi i \sum _{\mbox{Im} (z) > 0} \mbox{Res} \frac{e^{iz}}{1 + z^4} \right )[/tex]

I know the relevant poles are [itex]e^{3i\pi /4}[/itex] and [itex]e^{i\pi /4}[/itex], so I know how to find expressions for the residues at these poles, but again I don't have a neat way to compute this.

c) If p is constant or linear, the integral doesn't exist. Otherwise, the integral does exist, but I have no clue really how to compute it for arbitrary p.

d) Again, not much clue.

2. Well I can compute that the residue at A is (1 - A2)-1/2. It's a matter of making a clever choice of arc over which to integrate, or possibly a parametrized family of arcs and then taking the limits as the parameters of the family tend to desired limits, but I can't see what this clever choice would be. Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that for c the integral would evaluate to zero, since there are no residues in the interval you're integrating over, but I'm not absolutely certain that that is correct.

EDIT: On second thought that probably isn't correct because to me the question seems to imply that the polynomial only has no zeros only on the positive real line since they specify x>=0 and you can't give complex numbers that order. So if the polynomial has any complex zeros the best answer I think you could give would be 2*pi*i*Sum(x_i) where x_i are all the complex zeroes of the polynomial... But then if the polynomial is real, we should be expecting a real answer so you woudl probably want only the really part of that which again I have a feeling should turn out to e zero.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help you very much, I can't remember very much from my complex analysis course, but that problem interested me, and maybe some of this might help.

Last edited:
I'll do one for you in full...(PF willing)... the rest should be similar... these are tedious but method is generally clear.
[tex]\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\cos (az)}{z^4+1}\; dz}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle{=\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\int_\text{loop} - \int_\text{upper arc}, a>0}[/tex]
it can be easily shown that
[tex]\displaystyle{\int_\text{upper arc}\rightarrow 0}[/tex] as [tex]R\rightarrow \infty[/tex] since
[tex]\displaystyle{\left|\frac{e^{iz}}{z^4+1}\right| \leq \left|\frac{1}{z^4+1}\right| \leq \left|\frac{1}{R^4-1}\right| \sim \frac{1}{R^4}}[/tex] and so ML-estimate gives function to go like
[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{R^4}.\pi R \sim \frac{1}{R^3}}[/tex] and integral vanish as R goes to infinity.

So, we want Real part of
[tex]\displaystyle{\int_\text{loop} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^4+1}\; dz=2\pi i \left( \text{Res}\left[\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^4+1}, e^{i\pi/4}\right]+\text{Res}\left[\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^4+1}, e^{i3\pi/4}\right]\right)}[/tex]
Residues can be evaluated using
[tex]\displaystyle{\text{Res}\left[f(z)/g(z), z_0\right]=\frac{f(z_0)}{g'(z_0)}}[/tex] where at [tex]z_0, g(z)[/tex] has a simple zero, [tex]g'(z)[/tex] is the derivative.

therefore, we have
[tex]\displaystyle{\int_\text{loop} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^4+1}\; dz=
2\pi i \left[\frac{e^{ia e^{i\pi/4}}}{4(e^{i 3\pi/4})}+
\frac{e^{ia e^{i 3\pi/4}}}{4(e^{i 9\pi/4})}\right]}[/tex]

after some quick manipulation using Euler formula:
[tex]\displaystyle{= \frac{\pi i}{2} e^{-a/\sqrt{2}}\left(
e^{i(a/\sqrt{2}-3\pi/4)}+ e^{-i(a/\sqrt{2}+\pi/4)} \right)}[/tex]

convert [tex]i \rightarrow e^{i\pi/2}[/tex] and multiply into bracket, it becomes
[tex]\displaystyle{= \frac{\pi}{2} e^{-a/\sqrt{2}}\left(
e^{i(a/\sqrt{2}-\pi/4)}+ e^{-i(a/\sqrt{2}-\pi/4)} \right)}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle{= \pi e^{-a/\sqrt{2}} \cos (a/\sqrt{2}-\pi/4)}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle{= \pi e^{-a/\sqrt{2}} (\cos (a/\sqrt{2})\cos (\pi/4)
+\sin (a/\sqrt{2})\sin (\pi/4))}[/tex]
so altogether you get
[tex]\displaystyle{\int_{\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(az)}{z^4+1}\; dz
= \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-a/\sqrt{2}}\left[\cos(a/\sqrt{2})+
\sin(a/\sqrt{2})\right], a>0}[/tex]

NB: this is a standard textbook problem, so don't charge me for posting full solutions to Homework Forum :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of residues in complex analysis?

Residues are the coefficients of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of a function around a singularity. In the context of evaluating integrals using residues, residues are used to calculate the value of a complex integral by finding the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities.

2. How do you find the residues of a complex function?

The most common method to find the residues of a complex function is by using the Residue Theorem, which states that the residue of a function at a singularity is equal to the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that singularity.

3. Can the Residue Theorem be used to evaluate any complex integral?

No, the Residue Theorem can only be used to evaluate integrals that have singularities within the contour of integration. If the contour contains no singularities, the integral can be evaluated using other methods such as Cauchy's Integral Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Formula.

4. How can complex analysis equations be proved?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove complex analysis equations, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by counterexample. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the properties and theorems of complex numbers and functions.

5. Are there any practical applications of evaluating integrals using residues and proving complex analysis equations?

Yes, there are many practical applications of these techniques in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, residues can be used to calculate the electric field of a charged wire or to find the center of mass of a thin plate. Proving complex analysis equations is also crucial in developing new mathematical models and solving complex problems in these fields.