Connectivity of Complex Analysis Polynomial Sets | Degree n+1

In summary, the problem is to show that the set of complex numbers for which the absolute value of a given polynomial is greater than 1 is connected with connectivity at most n+1. This can be approached by considering the complement of the set, which has n connected components in the extended complex plane. The polynomial's n roots and the point at infinity contribute to this connectivity. However, a rigorous proof for this is needed.
Mystic998

Homework Statement

Let [itex]p(z)[/itex] be a polynomial of degree [itex]n \geq 1[/itex]. Show that [itex]\left\{z \in \mathbb{C} : \left|p(z)\right| > 1 \right\}[/tex] is connected with connectivity at most [itex]n+1[/itex].

Homework Equations

A region (connected, open set) considered as a set in the complex plane has finite connectivity n if its complement has n connected components in the extended complex plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start, frankly. Showing the set is connected seems really tricky, though I'm admittedly probably overlooking something really obvious. As for connectivity, I think it has to do with the fact that the complement of the set is [itex]\left\{z \in \mathbb{C} : \left|p(z)\right| \leq 1\right\} \cup \left\{\infty\right\}[/itex] in the extended complex plane. So I think that because the polynomial has at most n roots, any preimage of the first set can have at most n disjoint connected sets mapped to it, then the point at infinity gives you one more connected component. But I'm not sure how to say that rigorously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump before bed

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the analysis of functions of complex variables and their derivatives, integrals, and series.

2. Why is complex analysis important?

Complex analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It provides powerful tools for solving problems that involve complex numbers, such as in electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing.

3. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the Cauchy integral theorem. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of complex functions and their properties.

4. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis differs from real analysis in that it deals with complex numbers and functions instead of real numbers and functions. Complex analysis also has its own set of theorems and techniques for analyzing functions, such as the Cauchy integral formula and the residue theorem.

5. What are some practical applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications, including in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in fluid dynamics for analyzing the flow of fluids, and in signal processing for analyzing signals in the frequency domain. It also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, aerodynamics, and computer graphics.