Complex analysis and delta epsilon proof

In summary, complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of complex-valued functions and their properties and applications. A delta epsilon proof is a method used to prove the limit of a function in complex analysis by manipulating the values of epsilon and delta. This differs from a regular proof in that it specifically focuses on proving the limit of a function. One example of a delta epsilon proof in complex analysis is proving the limit of the function f(z) = z^2 at the point z = 1. Complex analysis has various real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics.
buzzmath
Can anyone help with these problems

1). use def. delta epsilon proof to prove lim(z goes to z0) Re(z)=Re(z0)

This is what I did |Re(z)-Re(z0)| = |x-x0| < epsilon then |z-z0|=|x-iy-x0-iy0|=|x-x0+i(y-y0)|<=|x-x0|+|y-y0|=epsilon + |y-y0| = delta
My question is doesn't this delta have to be a function of epsilon so is it alright to write it with this |y-y0| value in there? I don't see how to do it otherwise

2). lim(z goes to z0) conjugate of z = conjugate of z0

the way I see this problem as since the conjugate is just a reflection over the real axis then the delta value would be the same as the epsilon value because the points are the same distance away |z-z0|=|conjugate(z)-conjugate(z0)|
but how exactly would you go about writing this as a formal proof?

3). One interpretation of a function w=f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y) is that of a vector field in the domain of definition of f. The function assigns a vector w, with components u(x,y) and v(x,y), to each point z at which it is defined. Indicate graphically the vector fields represented by
a) w=iz
b). w=z/|z|

for a) I have u(x,y) = -y and v(x,y)=x and for b) I have
u(x,y)=x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and v(x,y)=y/sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
my question is how do you show graphically this vector field which I think is just the image without a domain?

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org

1). To prove the limit using the delta-epsilon definition, you need to show that for every epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that whenever |z - z0| < delta, then |Re(z) - Re(z0)| < epsilon. In your proof, you have correctly chosen delta = epsilon + |y-y0|. This delta does not have to be a function of epsilon, it just needs to satisfy the condition for any epsilon. So it is fine to write it with |y-y0| in there.

2). To prove this limit, you can use a similar approach as in the first problem. For any epsilon > 0, you need to show that there exists a delta > 0 such that whenever |z - z0| < delta, then |conjugate(z) - conjugate(z0)| < epsilon. Since the conjugate of a complex number is just a reflection over the real axis, you can choose delta = epsilon and this will satisfy the condition. This can be written as a formal proof by stating the definition of the limit and then showing the steps to reach the conclusion.

3). To graphically represent the vector field, you can plot the vectors at different points in the domain of definition. For example, for w = iz, you can plot the vectors (0,1), (-1,0), (0,-1), (1,0) at different points in the domain. Similarly, for w = z/|z|, you can plot the vectors (1,0) and (0,1) at different points in the domain. This will give you a visual representation of the vector field. Keep in mind that the domain of definition for these functions will depend on the specific problem, so make sure to take that into account when plotting the vectors.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions on the complex number plane. It focuses on the differentiation and integration of complex-valued functions, as well as the properties and applications of these functions.

2. What is a delta epsilon proof in complex analysis?

A delta epsilon proof, also known as an epsilon-delta proof, is a method used to formally prove the limit of a function by manipulating the values of epsilon and delta. It is commonly used in complex analysis to prove the continuity and differentiability of complex-valued functions.

3. How is a delta epsilon proof different from a regular proof?

A delta epsilon proof involves manipulation of the values of epsilon and delta, whereas a regular proof may use other methods such as algebraic manipulation or logical deductions. Delta epsilon proofs are specifically used to prove the limit of a function.

4. Can you provide an example of a delta epsilon proof in complex analysis?

Sure, let's take the function f(z) = z^2 at the point z = 1. To prove that the limit of f(z) as z approaches 1 is equal to 1, we must show that for any given epsilon, we can find a corresponding delta such that when |z - 1| < delta, |f(z) - 1| < epsilon. By choosing delta = sqrt(epsilon), we can show that for any given epsilon, we can find a corresponding delta, and thus prove the limit is 1.

5. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex analysis has various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it is used in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It is also used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and in the pricing of financial derivatives.