1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Complex analysis book

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1
    OK, so i took a course named "Oscillations and vibrations"
    We began the course with an "introduction" to complex numbers, basically we raced through them in like 3 classes, we talked about how to get complex roots, adding, multiplying, Cauchy-Riemann Conditions, Cauchy's integration Theorem (quite similar to Stokes and Green theorems, at least in their conditions), and today we saw what certain operations do to functions, for example how w=z^2 just transforms it into a kaleidoscope.
    Problem is i didn't quite get it, for example the teacher didn't even mention Euler's identity in the slightest, basically i need a book that teaches me, at least, basic complex analysis like a total beginner, i know about Vector analysis but not complex and i kinda need some guidance, i've been told you use complex numbers for everything in physics, so i'll need that guidance.
    P.S. it's amazing how real numbers aren't enough o.0 it kinda blew my mind

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's because it can be proven from Stokes' Theorem.

Anyway, my favorite book is Freitag & Busam. But it might be too mathematical for your taste. Needham's Visual complex analysis is a great book with great intuitions. It might be what you're looking for, but it isn't exactly meant to be rigorous. Somewhat in between is Boas "Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences". Flanagan's "Complex Variables" is like Boas, but more extensive.

I'm sure one of these books will appeal to you.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another option (along the same lines as Boas) is the free online math methods book from James Nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

which has two relevant chapters (3 & 14) that may be helpful.

Jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted