Beginners Guide to Complex Analysis

In summary: Some recommended books are Freitag & Busam, Needham's Visual complex analysis, Boas' Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences, and Flanagan's Complex Variables. Another suggestion is the free online math methods book from James Nearing. In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a beginner's guide to complex analysis and recommended several books that may be helpful.
Remixex
OK, so i took a course named "Oscillations and vibrations"
We began the course with an "introduction" to complex numbers, basically we raced through them in like 3 classes, we talked about how to get complex roots, adding, multiplying, Cauchy-Riemann Conditions, Cauchy's integration Theorem (quite similar to Stokes and Green theorems, at least in their conditions), and today we saw what certain operations do to functions, for example how w=z^2 just transforms it into a kaleidoscope.
Problem is i didn't quite get it, for example the teacher didn't even mention Euler's identity in the slightest, basically i need a book that teaches me, at least, basic complex analysis like a total beginner, i know about Vector analysis but not complex and i kinda need some guidance, I've been told you use complex numbers for everything in physics, so i'll need that guidance.
P.S. it's amazing how real numbers aren't enough o.0 it kinda blew my mind

Physics news on Phys.org
Remixex said:
Cauchy's integration Theorem (quite similar to Stokes and Green theorems, at least in their conditions),

That's because it can be proven from Stokes' Theorem.

Anyway, my favorite book is Freitag & Busam. But it might be too mathematical for your taste. Needham's Visual complex analysis is a great book with great intuitions. It might be what you're looking for, but it isn't exactly meant to be rigorous. Somewhat in between is Boas "Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences". Flanagan's "Complex Variables" is like Boas, but more extensive.

I'm sure one of these books will appeal to you.

Likes Remixex
Another option (along the same lines as Boas) is the free online math methods book from James Nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

which has two relevant chapters (3 & 14) that may be helpful.

Jason

Likes Remixex

1. What exactly is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions that have complex inputs and outputs. It involves the use of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both real and imaginary components. Complex analysis is used to study various properties and behaviors of these functions, such as their derivatives, integrals, and singularities.

2. Why is complex analysis important?

Complex analysis has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other branches of mathematics. It is used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. It also provides a powerful framework for solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of functions in the complex plane.

3. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, complex differentiation, complex integration, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Other important topics include contour integration, power series, Laurent series, and the residue theorem.

4. Is complex analysis difficult to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, complex analysis can be challenging to learn, but it is certainly not impossible. It requires a solid foundation in calculus, and a willingness to think abstractly. With practice and patience, anyone can develop a strong understanding of complex analysis and its applications.

5. How can I apply complex analysis in my research or work?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It can be used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid flow, and signal processing, among others. It is also a useful tool for solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of functions in the complex plane.