Can the Complex Plane Extend to Infinity?

In summary: But just like the projective complex numbers, there is only one infinite number in this context, and x \cdot \infty = a + b for all nonzero complex numbers x. This can be pictured as the complex plane with the points (a, b) as the vertices, and the line segment joining them as the boundary. Again, this is a topological concept -- the line segment does not change when you add a point at infinity to it.There's also the so-called "Cauchy-Riemann system". This is similar to the projective complex numbers in that there is only one infinite number, but it's a little more complicated. In this number system, there are
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

We we look at [itex]z\rightarrow \infty[/itex], does this include both [itex]z=x[/itex] for [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex] AND [itex]z=iy[/itex] for [itex]y\rightarrow \infty[/itex]? So, I guess what I am asking is, when [itex]z\rightarrow \infty[/itex], am I allowed to go to infinity from both the real and imaginary axis? If yes, then this implies that [itex]i\cdot \infty = \infty[/itex]?

Thank you very much in advance.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the complex plane has a single "point at infinity". Topologically, every set of the form {z | |z|> R} is a neighborhood of the "point at infinity". That does NOT mean that "[itex]i\cdot\infty= \infty[/itex]". This is purely "topological" or "geometric". Infinity is NOT a complex number and we do not multiply it.

Added: that is the most common way to extend the complex numbers (the "one-point compactification") and makes the complex plane topologically equivalent to a sphere, but it is also possible to add a "point at infinity" at the end of every ray from 0 (The "Stone-Cech" compactication). That makes the complex plane topologically equivalent to a closed disk. However, both of those are topological (geometric) concepts and do not change the algebra of the complex numbers. We still do not define arithmetic involving "infinity".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying. Is this single point [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]i\cdot\infty[/itex]? Or should I understand it as if they are both this single point?

That single point is called "infinity". You will sometimes see "[itex]i\cdot\infty[/itex]" as shorthand for [itex]\lim_{b\to\infty}0+ bi[/itex] but the limit itself is just the point at infinity.

Thanks. It is very kind of you to help me.

Hmm, I seem to have stumpled upon something, which is quite odd:

Lets look at the function [itex]
f(z) = \sqrt{z^2+4}
[/itex]. This function has a simple pole at [itex]z_0=\infty[/itex], but we also have the limits

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \left( {x^2 + 4} \right)^{1/2} = \infty \\
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{y \to \infty } \left( {(iy)^2 + 4} \right)^{1/2} = i \cdot \infty \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

and hence the limits are both infinite, and thus there is no singularity according to the limits - but we just found a pole at infinity. What part of my reasoning is wrong here?

Last edited:
The fact that the limits are infinite is consistent with there being a pole. You can compute the residue at the pole, e.g. by first using the transformation z ---> 1/z to move the (alleged) pole to the origin and then compute the residue at zero.

There are many different compactifications of the complex numbers -- essentially, ways to add points "at infinity" to make calculus behave nicely.

The most common is the projective complex numbers. In that number system, there is only one infinite number, and [itex]x \cdot \infty = \infty[/itex] for all nonzero complex numbers x. ([itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] is not in the domain of [itex]\cdot[/itex] -- i.e. it's undefined) This can be pictured as the Riemann sphere.

Another one that crops up sometimes is to consider the set of all [itex]a + b \mathbf{i}[/itex] where a and b are extended real numbers. The extended real numbers are the ones you're probably familiar with from calculus (although you weren't taught to use them as numbers) -- it has two infinite numbers called [itex]+\infty[/itex] and [itex]-\infty[/itex]. Topologically, this looks like a square. (In the same sense that the closed interval [itex][-\infty, \infty][/itex] has the same shape as the interval [itex][0, 1][/itex])

1. What is meant by infinity in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, infinity refers to a point at an infinite distance from the origin in the complex plane. It is often represented as ∞ and is used to describe the behavior of functions near the boundaries of their domains.

2. How does complex analysis deal with infinity?

Complex analysis deals with infinity by using the concept of a limit. This allows for the study of functions near infinity and how they approach this point. Additionally, complex analysis uses concepts such as poles and essential singularities to describe the behavior of functions at infinity.

3. Can a complex number be infinite?

No, a complex number cannot be infinite. In complex analysis, infinity is not considered as a number but rather a concept that describes the behavior of functions near the boundaries of their domains.

4. How does complex analysis handle singularities at infinity?

Complex analysis handles singularities at infinity through the concept of essential singularities. These are points at infinity where the function has a essential discontinuity, meaning it cannot be made continuous at that point through any transformation.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis and infinity?

Complex analysis and infinity have many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. For example, complex analysis is used to study the behavior of electric fields near complex poles and infinity, and in fluid dynamics it is used to study the behavior of fluids near singularities at infinity.