1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis integral

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{2}{1+x^2} e^{-ikx}dx}##, where k is any positive number

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first consider the closed contour ##I= \int{\frac{2}{1+z^2} e^{-ikz}dx}##

We can choose the contour to be along the real axis ## [-R,R]## then along the semi circle for which ##z=Re^{i \theta}, [0, \pi] ##

then ##I= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{2}{1+x^2} e^{-ikx}dx} +\int_{0}^{\pi} {\frac{2}{1+(Re^{i \theta})^2} e^{-ikRe^{i\theta}}dx}##

I calculated the residue to be ## \pi e^{k} ##, with the poles being at ## z=i## and ##z=-i##

I think the integral around the semi-circle is supposed to go to zero in the limit of R going to infinity, but I am struggling to see why. I can't use Jordan's lemma (?) since it is not in the usual formal, and if i expand

##e^{-ikRe^{i\theta}} = e^{-ikR(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta))}##
    ##= e^{-ikRcos(\theta)}e^{kRsin(\theta)}##

but since ##\theta ## is between ##[0, \pi], sin(\theta)## is greater than, or equal to zero, meaning that the integrand does not drop off as R goes to infinity..

Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

You should add dx to your integrals.

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3
    Noted and corrected. Thank you :)

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##k > 0## completing in the upper x-plane won't work, because for ##x = t + i y## we have ##e^{-ikx}= e^{-ikt}\, e^{ky}##. which behaves badly for large ##y > 0##. However, we can complete in the lower x-plane instead.

Alternatively, we can see that for real ##x## the integrand has a real part that is an even function of ##x## and an imaginary part that is odd (so will integrate to 0); that is, we could obtain the same result if we replace ##e^{-ikx}## by ##\cos(kx)##. But then, we might as well extend this to ##e^{ikx}## without changing its value.

So, let's look at the integral with integrand ##f(x) = e^{ikx}/(1+x^2)##. Now we can complete in the upper x-plane, because##e^{ik(t+iy)} = e^{ikt} e^{-ky}##. However, completing along a semi-circle is not very convenient; using a rectangle is much easier. So, let's take the original integral from ##x = -R## to ##x = +R##, taking ##R \to \infty## eventually. Complete in a rectangle as follows: append the integral from ##R+i0## to ##R + iR## along the vertical, then from ##R + iR## to ##-R + iR## along an upper horizontal, then from ##-R + iR## down to ##-R + i0## along the other vertical. It is pretty easy to get bounds on each of the vertical and upper-horizontal integrals, and to show that they ##\to 0## as ##R \to \infty##.

6. Aug 3, 2016 #5
    Closing in the lower half plane produces the same problem. Though the exponential power will be negative, over the limit ##[ 0, -\pi], sin(\theta)## is negative, meaning the resultant power is positive, and the same problem occurs. (This may also be seen by making the substitution ##x \to (-x)## in my initial working).

Edit:
    But x (more accurately z) itself is complex, not real, over either the semi-circle or rectangle so taking the real part of the function will not simply be a matter of changing the exponential into its ##cosx+isinx## form. For example the integrand is actually ##\frac{1}{1+R^2e^{2i\theta}} e^{-ikRe^{i\theta}}Rie^{i\theta} ## taking the real part of this is not as straightforward, surely ?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious- thanks for the help

7. Aug 3, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: we start with the integral over the real line, and show that we can replace ##e^{-ikx}## by ##e^{ikx}## in that integral. Then we extend ##x## into the upper complex plane. Alternatively, complete in the lower x-plane, and use arguments similar to the one below.

Taking ##e^{ikx} = e^{ik(t + iy)} = e^{ikt} e^{-ky}## for ##t = R## and ##0 \leq y \leq R##, the right-hand vertical integral becomes
    $$ I_1 = \int_0^R \frac{e^{ikR} e^{-ky}}{(R + iy)^2 + 1} i \, dy,$$.
    Use the facts that ##|\int f| \leq \int |f|##, ##|a/b| = |a|/|b|## and ##|e^{ikt} e^{-ky}| = |e^{ikt}| e^{-ky} = e^{-ky}##. The magnitude of the denominator in ##|f|## is
    $$|(R+iy)^2 + 1| = \sqrt{R^4+2R^2 y^2+y^4+2 R^2-2y^2+1} \geq \sqrt{R^4 + 2 R^2},$$
    since ##2R^2 y^2 \geq 0## and ##y^4 - 2 y^2 \geq -1## for ##y \geq 0##. We thus have
    $$|I_1| \leq \int_0^R \frac{e^{-ky}}{ \sqrt{R^4+2R^2}} dy \to 0 $$
    as ##R \to \infty##.

Similar types of arguments apply to the other vertical integral and to the upper horizontal integral.

Trying something like the above on a semi-circular arc of radius ##R## would be much harder, so that is why I suggested not doing it that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted