1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis-Isomorphisms

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Find and isomorphism of the region [tex] |arg z|< \frac{\pi}{8} [/tex] on the region:
    [tex] |z|<1,z Not In [0,1) [/tex].

2. Find and isomorphism of the region [tex]D= (z=i+re^{it}, \frac{5 \pi}{4} < t<\frac{7 \pi}{4}, r \geq 0 ) [/tex] on the region [tex] R=(z: 0<Rez< \pi , Imz>0) [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Mobiuos Transformations...Elementry Functions

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea about 2...
    About 1- I thought about first taking the function [tex] z \to z^8 [/tex] which will copy the region to [tex] C-(- \infty, 0] [/tex] ... I was thinking about using LOG or something from that point, but I have no idea how to continue this composition of functions

Hope you'll be able to help me

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    I'll give you a hint to point you in the right
    direction for both of these. The second one is
    just one additional step from the first.

A basic beginning for both of these problems is
    to begin by mapping the region in question to
    the region R = Re z > 0, Im z > 0.

For 1, the function is f(z) = z^2*exp(i*pi/4).

Now, consider applying g(z) = 1/(z+1), which maps
    the Im z = 0,Re z > 0 boundary of R to the line
    segment (0,1) and the Re z = 0, Im z > 0
    boundary of R to the upper half of the circle
    |z-1/2| = 1/2...do you see that? So, g maps R
    onto the upper half of the disk |z-1/2| < 1/2.

Then, note that h(z) = (2z-1)^2 maps this upper
    half disk onto |z| < 1, z not in [0,1).

Then, the whole function is the composition h(g(f(z))).

For 2, recall that exp(z) is an isomorphism from the
    horizontal strip 0 < Im z < 2pi, Re z < 0 onto
    |z| < 1, z not in [0,1).

Then, the so called principle branch of log(z) is an
    isomorphism in the opposite direction. Now, proceed
    as for 1 to find an isomorphism from the region onto
    |z| < 1, z not in [0,1), then compose with log(z).
    Finally, you have to rotate and compress (multiply
    by 1/2*exp(-i*pi/2)).

Hopefully, that helps.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    Wow! Thanks a lot for the detailed guidance! It was awsome...
    Unfortunately, there is one thing I can't understand:
    1. As far as I know, when we take the map [tex] \frac{1}{z} [/tex] , it mappes Im z = 0,Re z > 0 to (0,1)... When we take the map [tex] \frac{1}{z+1} [/tex] , it mappes this region to (1,2)...Am I right?
    2. I can't figure out why this map copies Im z > 0,Re z = 0 to the upper half of the circle
    |z-1/2| = 1/2 ... This is the part I couldn't understand in your guidance...
    I thought the map [tex] \frac{1}{z} [/tex] takes the first quadrant to :
    [tex](z: |z|<1 , Imz>0,Rez>0)[/tex] ... So the map [tex] \frac{1}{z+1} [/tex] takes this region to the circle:[tex](z: |z-1|<1 , Imz>0,Rez>0)[/tex] .... I realy can't understand where is my mistake in understanding these mappings... Hope you'll be able to help

Thanks a lot again

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    First, sorry that I crapped out of texifying...my first time posting here, and I didn't know how to do it.

Note that if [tex] z\in (0,1) [/tex] then [tex] \frac{1}{z} \in (1,\infty), [/tex] and [tex] z\in (1,\infty) [/tex] then [tex] \frac{1}{z} \in (0,1), [/tex] so you are not quite right.

This is the same reason that [tex] \frac{1}{z+1} [/tex] maps [tex] (0,\infty) \longrightarrow (0,1) [/tex]

Second, remember that Mobius transformations map lines to circles. The vertical line [tex] Re z = 0 [/tex] gets mapped to some kind of circle by [tex] \frac{1}{z+1} [/tex]. Note [tex] 0\longrightarrow 1 [/tex] and [tex]\infty\longrightarrow 0[/tex].

Hopefully, it is clear why [tex] Re z = 0, Im z > 0 [/tex] maps to half of the circle. I actually mispoke, it's the bottom half - figure out why and go from there. You're welcome - it was a welcome diversion, I'm deployed in Iraq right now.

6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    I think it's completely understandble now...Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook