1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis - Normal Families

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]U[/itex] be a domain in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] with [itex]z_0 \in U[/itex]. Let [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] be the family of analytic functions [itex]f[/itex] in [itex]U[/itex] such that [itex]f(z_0) = -1[/itex] and [itex]f(U) \cap \mathbb{Q}_{\geq 0} = \emptyset[/itex], where [itex]\mathbb{Q}_{\geq0}[/itex] denotes the set of non-negative rational numbers. Is [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] a normal family?

2. Relevant equations

Montel's Theorem: A family of analytic functions on a domain is normal if it is uniformly bounded on compact subsets of the domain.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure that this is a normal family; if it's not, how would I prove it? Would I have to produce an explicit sequence of functions from the family which has no subsequence which converges uniformly (on compact subsets)?
    If it is normal, I presumably need to show that it is uniformly bounded on compact subsets, which I don't know how to do either.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?