1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis - open sets

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An open set in the complex plane is, by definition, one which contains a disc of positive radius about each of its points. Prove that:
    (a) the intersection of two open sets is an open set
    (b) the union of arbitrarily many open sets is an open set

2. Relevant equations
    If A, B are two sets, A = {a, b, c} and B = {c, d, e}, then:
    AUB = {a, b, c, d, e}
    A intersect B = {b}

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's what I've done:

(a) Let U, V be two non-empty open sets in the complex plane. Then, by definition, all the points of U and V have a positive radius about them.
    Then, clearly, all the points in the intersection of U and V will be points that have a positive radius about them.
    Thus the intersection of U and V is, by definition, an open set.

(b) Let U_1, U_2, ... , U_n be any n non-empty open sets in the complex plane. Then, by definition, all the points of U_1, U_2, ... , U_n have a positive radius about them.
    Thus, clearly, all the points in the union of U_1, U_2, ... , U_n have a positive radius about them.
    Thus the union of U_1, U_2, ... , U_n is, by definition, an open set.

---

I know heuristic proofs don't generally cut it in analysis, but I really don't see what else there is to say on this particular question. Am I missing something fundamental in my argument?
    Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need to be a lot more explicit about the positive radius.

Here's how I would start (a):

Let [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] be two open sets in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. If [itex]U \cap V[/itex] is empty, then the claim is obviously true. So suppose that it is not empty, and choose [itex]z \in U \cap V[/itex].

Then [itex]z \in U[/itex], so there exists a radius [itex]r_u > 0[/itex] such that [itex]u \in U[/itex] whenever [itex]|z - u| < r_u[/itex].

Similarly, [itex]z \in V[/itex], so there exists a radius [itex]r_v > 0[/itex] such that [itex]v \in V[/itex] whenever [itex]|z - v| < r_v[/itex].

I now wish to show that [itex]U \cap V[/itex] contains a disc of positive radius around the point [itex]z[/itex], which means that I must find a radius [itex]r > 0[/itex] such that [itex]x \in U \cap V[/itex] whenever [itex]|z - x| < r[/itex].

Your job is now to find such an [itex]r[/itex]. Hint: will one of [itex]r_u[/itex] or [itex]r_v[/itex] work? If so, which one? And you must prove that it works!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook