Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis planar sets

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    I dont get the meaning of "connected" in the chapter of planar sets.
    The text book said " An open set S is said to be connected if every pair of points z1, z2 in S can be joined by a polygonal path that lies entirely in S"

So do i just randomly pick 2 points in S to check if they are both in S?
    but if i pick a point in S, how can it not being in S....
    and my questions is, what points do i pick to check if it is connected.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you need to check that the path connecting them can be chosen to lie completely in S.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You cannot just pick two points. In order to show that a set is "connected" in this sense, you would have to show that any two points have such a have such a path connecting them. And you do not just check that two points "are in S", you show that there exist a polygonal path connecting them that lies in S- that is, all points on the path are in S.

Two prove that a set is NOT connected you only need to give a "counter-example" - two points in the set such that a path connecting them cannot lie in the set. For example the set {(x, y)| xy> 0}, where x and y are numbers, is not connected since any path from (1, 1) to (-1, -1) must pass through a point where either x or y is 0- and such a point is not in the set.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4
    Thank you so much,
    as what i get, it is super hard to be connected except the set is very specific, right?
    like, it makes many constrain for x and y.

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Connected set are easy. Any open ball is connected. The entire plane is connected. Actually your definition is of a path connected set. It is possible for a set to be connected but not path connected.

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but not for an open set in euclidean space. there the concepts coincide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook