1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis problem

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Let f and g be two holomorphic functions in a connected open set D of the plane which have no zeros in D; if there is a sequence an of points such that lim an = a and an does not equal a for all n, and if

f'(an)/f(an)=g'(an)/g(an)

show that there is a constant c such that f=cg in D.

2. Relevant equations If f is identically zero at a point in a connected open set, then f is identically zero on the whole set.

3. The attempt at a solution I have shown that (f/g)'(a) = 0, but I don't see how that would imply that the derivative is identically zero at that point.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know what you mean by "identically 0 at a point"! "Identically" zero means zero at every point of some set. Are you sure you have quoted your "relevant equation" correctly?

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Ah, sorry. What I mean is that the derivatives of f of every order are 0 at that point, so that f is equal to the zero function at that point. I may be abusing the term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook