Entire Functions Bounded by Exponential Growth

We know that f(z)/e^z is entire and bounded, therefore it must be a constant function. This means that f(z)=Ce^z where C is some complex constant.In summary, the problem is asking to find all entire functions f such that the absolute value of f(z) is always less than or equal to e^(Re(z)). The solution involves using Liouville's theorem to show that f(z) must be of the form Ce^z, where C is a complex constant.
Sistine

Homework Statement

Find all entire functions [tex]f[/tex] such that

[tex] |f(z)|\leq e^{\textrm{Re}(z)}\quad\forall z\in\mathbb{C}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\textrm{Re}(u+iv)=u[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Nachbin's theorem for functions of exponential type. I also tried using the Cauchy integral formula to see if I could gain more information about [tex]f[/tex] but I could not solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are looking at it in an overly complicated way. Can you think of a way to use |e^z|=e^(Re(z))?

I tried applying schwarz lemma to [tex]|f(z)|\leq |e^z|[/tex] i.e.

[tex]\left|\frac{f(z)}{e^z}\right|\leq 1[/tex]

But this did not give me much information about [tex]f[/tex]. What other Theorems from Complex Analysis could I use to gain information about [tex]f[/tex]?

Sistine said:
I tried applying schwarz lemma to [tex]|f(z)|\leq |e^z|[/tex] i.e.

[tex]\left|\frac{f(z)}{e^z}\right|\leq 1[/tex]

But this did not give me much information about [tex]f[/tex]. What other Theorems from Complex Analysis could I use to gain information about [tex]f[/tex]?

Liouville's theorem!

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers. It focuses on functions of complex variables and their derivatives, integrals, and series.

2. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to study electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and many other real-world phenomena.

3. What are the key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integrals, Cauchy's theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These concepts are used to solve problems involving complex functions and their behavior.

4. What are some common techniques for solving complex analysis problems?

There are several techniques that are commonly used to solve complex analysis problems, such as the Cauchy integral theorem, Laurent series, residue theorem, and the method of conformal mapping. These techniques can be applied to various types of problems, including finding zeros, evaluating integrals, and determining the behavior of functions.

5. How can I improve my skills in complex analysis?

To improve your skills in complex analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and complex numbers. Practice solving various types of problems and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and techniques. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, to further enhance your understanding and skills in complex analysis.