1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis problem

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a continuous function ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}## satisfy ##|f(\mathbb{C})|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## and let ##f(\mathbb{C})## be an open set. Then ##f(\mathbb{C})=\mathbb{C}##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose for contradiction that ##G=f(\mathbb{C})\not=\mathbb{C}##. Then ##G\subset\mathbb{C}## so ##\partial G\cap\mathbb{C}\not=\emptyset##. (This fact was proved in class.)

The professor gave a hint that I should be using Bolzano-Weierstrauss and the fact that if ##f## is a continuous function and ##z_{n}\rightarrow z## then ##f(z_{n})\rightarrow f(z)##. I started by contradiction because that was the hint in the book but I can't see how to incorporate the professor's hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, suppose the boundary of ##f(\mathbb{C})## is not empty. Then pick a point ##z_0## in the boundary. Then there is a sequence ##z_n## such that ##f(z_n) \rightarrow z_0##, right? Now can you see that ##|f(z)|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## means ##z_n## must be a bounded sequence? Apply Bolzano-Weierstrass from there.

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    By Bolzano-Weierstrauss, there exists a convergent subsequence of ##z_{n}##,##z_{n_{k}}## which converges to some ##z\in\mathbb{C}##. Then since ##f## is continuous, ##f(z_{n_{k}})\rightarrow f(z)=z_{0}##.

I am not sure how to proceed. I keep thinking that the goal is to derive a contradiction by showing that ##\partial G\cup\mathbb{C}=\emptyset##. I think the problem is that I can't picture what I am trying to show in my head. How would you recommend going about picturing this?

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4
    Suppose x is a complex number, and not in f(C). Let M > |x|. Then there exists N such that if |z| > N, then |f(z)| > M. The set {y: |y| ≤ N} is compact.

Edit: x is either a limit point of f(C), or it isn't. If it's not, choose M so that the open ball with radius M centered at (0,0) contains the closure of the open ball with radius r centered at x, such that every open ball centered at x with radius greater than r contains a point in f(C), and the open ball with radius r centered at x contains no points in f(C).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Jan 13, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##f(z)=z_0## mean ##z_0## is in ##f(\mathbb{C})##. Can an element of an open set also belong to the boundary? Think about definitions.

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6
    Ah! Then since ##z_{0}## is contained in ##f(\mathbb{C})##, this is a contradiction because ##G## does not contain its boundary. If it did then ##G## would also have to be closed and the only sets which are both open and closed in ##\mathbb{C}## are ##\emptyset## and ##\mathbb{C}## but since ##G## contains ##z_{0}##, ##G## must be the entirety of ##\mathbb{C}##.

8. Jan 13, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's it. The real trick is the argument that the ##z_n## must be bounded. That's how you use the limit property.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted