Proving the Open Mapping Theorem for Continuous Functions on Complex Numbers

In summary, complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on studying functions on the complex plane, involving the properties of complex numbers and the behavior of functions defined on them. It differs from real analysis in that complex numbers have both real and imaginary components, while real numbers only have a single component. Complex analysis has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, and to solve a complex analysis problem, one needs to understand the properties of complex numbers and use techniques such as Cauchy's integral theorem and Laurent series. These problems can have multiple solutions due to the multiple roots of complex numbers, so specifying the domain and range is crucial in finding a unique solution.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Let a continuous function ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}## satisfy ##|f(\mathbb{C})|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## and let ##f(\mathbb{C})## be an open set. Then ##f(\mathbb{C})=\mathbb{C}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose for contradiction that ##G=f(\mathbb{C})\not=\mathbb{C}##. Then ##G\subset\mathbb{C}## so ##\partial G\cap\mathbb{C}\not=\emptyset##. (This fact was proved in class.)

The professor gave a hint that I should be using Bolzano-Weierstrauss and the fact that if ##f## is a continuous function and ##z_{n}\rightarrow z## then ##f(z_{n})\rightarrow f(z)##. I started by contradiction because that was the hint in the book but I can't see how to incorporate the professor's hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Let a continuous function ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}## satisfy ##|f(\mathbb{C})|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## and let ##f(\mathbb{C})## be an open set. Then ##f(\mathbb{C})=\mathbb{C}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose for contradiction that ##G=f(\mathbb{C})\not=\mathbb{C}##. Then ##G\subset\mathbb{C}## so ##\partial G\cap\mathbb{C}\not=\emptyset##. (This fact was proved in class.)

The professor gave a hint that I should be using Bolzano-Weierstrauss and the fact that if ##f## is a continuous function and ##z_{n}\rightarrow z## then ##f(z_{n})\rightarrow f(z)##. I started by contradiction because that was the hint in the book but I can't see how to incorporate the professor's hint.

Ok, suppose the boundary of ##f(\mathbb{C})## is not empty. Then pick a point ##z_0## in the boundary. Then there is a sequence ##z_n## such that ##f(z_n) \rightarrow z_0##, right? Now can you see that ##|f(z)|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## means ##z_n## must be a bounded sequence? Apply Bolzano-Weierstrass from there.

Dick said:
Ok, suppose the boundary of ##f(\mathbb{C})## is not empty. Then pick a point ##z_0## in the boundary. Then there is a sequence ##z_n## such that ##f(z_n) \rightarrow z_0##, right? Now can you see that ##|f(z)|\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow\infty## means ##z_n## must be a bounded sequence? Apply Bolzano-Weierstrass from there.

By Bolzano-Weierstrauss, there exists a convergent subsequence of ##z_{n}##,##z_{n_{k}}## which converges to some ##z\in\mathbb{C}##. Then since ##f## is continuous, ##f(z_{n_{k}})\rightarrow f(z)=z_{0}##.

I am not sure how to proceed. I keep thinking that the goal is to derive a contradiction by showing that ##\partial G\cup\mathbb{C}=\emptyset##. I think the problem is that I can't picture what I am trying to show in my head. How would you recommend going about picturing this?

Suppose x is a complex number, and not in f(C). Let M > |x|. Then there exists N such that if |z| > N, then |f(z)| > M. The set {y: |y| ≤ N} is compact.

Edit: x is either a limit point of f(C), or it isn't. If it's not, choose M so that the open ball with radius M centered at (0,0) contains the closure of the open ball with radius r centered at x, such that every open ball centered at x with radius greater than r contains a point in f(C), and the open ball with radius r centered at x contains no points in f(C).

Last edited:
DeadOriginal said:
By Bolzano-Weierstrauss, there exists a convergent subsequence of ##z_{n}##,##z_{n_{k}}## which converges to some ##z\in\mathbb{C}##. Then since ##f## is continuous, ##f(z_{n_{k}})\rightarrow f(z)=z_{0}##.

I am not sure how to proceed. I keep thinking that the goal is to derive a contradiction by showing that ##\partial G\cup\mathbb{C}=\emptyset##. I think the problem is that I can't picture what I am trying to show in my head. How would you recommend going about picturing this?

##f(z)=z_0## mean ##z_0## is in ##f(\mathbb{C})##. Can an element of an open set also belong to the boundary? Think about definitions.

Ah! Then since ##z_{0}## is contained in ##f(\mathbb{C})##, this is a contradiction because ##G## does not contain its boundary. If it did then ##G## would also have to be closed and the only sets which are both open and closed in ##\mathbb{C}## are ##\emptyset## and ##\mathbb{C}## but since ##G## contains ##z_{0}##, ##G## must be the entirety of ##\mathbb{C}##.

DeadOriginal said:
Ah! Then since ##z_{0}## is contained in ##f(\mathbb{C})##, this is a contradiction because ##G## does not contain its boundary. If it did then ##G## would also have to be closed and the only sets which are both open and closed in ##\mathbb{C}## are ##\emptyset## and ##\mathbb{C}## but since ##G## contains ##z_{0}##, ##G## must be the entirety of ##\mathbb{C}##.

Yes, that's it. The real trick is the argument that the ##z_n## must be bounded. That's how you use the limit property.

Last edited:

What is complex analysis problem?

Complex analysis problem is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions on the complex plane. It involves the study of complex numbers, their properties, and the behavior of functions that are defined on them.

What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis deals with functions on the real numbers, while complex analysis deals with functions on the complex numbers. The main difference between the two is that complex numbers have both real and imaginary components, whereas real numbers only have a single component.

What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in solving problems related to fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and optimization.

How do you solve a complex analysis problem?

To solve a complex analysis problem, you need to understand the properties of complex numbers and the behavior of functions on the complex plane. You can then use techniques such as Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy-Riemann equations, and Laurent series to solve the problem.

Can complex analysis problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex analysis problems can have multiple solutions. This is because complex numbers have multiple roots for some equations and functions, unlike real numbers which have only one solution. Therefore, it is important to specify the domain and range when solving a complex analysis problem to ensure a unique solution.