Complex Analysis problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a non-constant holomorphic function that is zero everywhere and has the form 1/n, where n € N. There are several suggestions, such as declaring the function to be zero on a subset of the plane, using the identity theorem, and finding a function that is zero at the points 1/n and not constant. Ultimately, it is suggested to use sine or cosine functions to satisfy the conditions and make the function the limit of a sequence to satisfy the "every point" condition.
OhNoYaDidn't

Homework Statement

With
Screen_Shot_2015_07_12_at_00_07_03.png
. Give an example, if it exists, of a non constant holomorphic function
Screen_Shot_2015_07_12_at_00_07_24.png
that is zero everywhere and has the form 1/n, where n € N.

Homework Equations

So.. This was in my Complex Analysis exam, and i have no idea what to do. I always seem to get stuck at these more abstract questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like your problem statement must be wrong. How can a function be zero everywhere and nonzero at some points? Am I reading it wrong?

Just declare the function to be $0$ on a subset of the plane that has a limit point. But yes, the statement is kind of confusing.

OhNoYaDidn't said:

Homework Statement

With
Screen_Shot_2015_07_12_at_00_07_03.png
. Give an example, if it exists, of a non constant holomorphic function
Screen_Shot_2015_07_12_at_00_07_24.png
that returns zero in all points, and has the form 1/n, where n € N.

Homework Equations

So.. This was in my Complex Analysis exam, and i have no idea what to do. I always seem to get stuck at these more abstract questions.
I tried to fix it.
I'm so sorry, but i translated this. But even in my mother togue it's confusing.

The only way I can make sense of it is this: find an analytic function that has zeros at all points ##1/n, n=1,2,## and so that ##f(0)=0##. And then you use the identity theorem to conclude f must be identically ##0.##

Last edited:
I bet they want a function that is zero at the points 1/n, analytic on the right half plane, and not constant.

This must be some kind of a trick, right? So satisfy the conditions one by one, and then satisfy the "every point" condition by making it the limit of some sequence.
1) Holomorphic - start thinking sine / cosine
2) looks like 1/n at x = n, so maybe ##\frac{1}{x} ## times some sine or cosine function
3) returns zero at every point, maybe the limit of your frequency component of the sine or cosine, so that at every point, you will have a vertical line from -1/x to 1/x.

What is Complex Analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is the study of the properties and behavior of complex-valued functions, which are functions that take complex numbers as inputs and produce complex numbers as outputs.

What are some common applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex analysis has a wide range of applications in mathematics and science. It is used in physics, engineering, computer science, and other fields to model and solve problems involving complex systems. It is also used in number theory, geometry, and other areas of pure mathematics.

What are some key concepts in Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include analytic functions, complex integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Other important ideas include Laurent series, residue theory, and conformal mapping.

How is Complex Analysis different from Real Analysis?

Complex analysis and real analysis are both branches of mathematical analysis, but they focus on different types of numbers. Real analysis deals with functions of real numbers, while complex analysis deals with functions of complex numbers. Additionally, complex analysis introduces new concepts such as analyticity and holomorphicity, which have no analogues in real analysis.

What are some common techniques for solving Complex Analysis problems?

Some common techniques for solving complex analysis problems include using Cauchy's integral formula, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the residue theorem. Other useful tools include the Cauchy integral theorem, the maximum modulus principle, and conformal mapping techniques.