Complex Analysis Practice Problems

In summary, the radius of convergence for the complex series is |z^2| = |z|^2, where the center of the disk of convergence is located at 5+i. For the Laurent series of the function f(z) about the singularity z=2, the residue is 1/8. Lastly, evaluating the integral results in 5PI/32a^7.
karan4496

Homework Statement

a) Find the radius of convergence of the following complex series and the complex point, where the center of the disk of convergence is located:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{inf} 4^n (z-i-5)^{2n} [/tex]
b) Find the Laurent series of the following function, f(z), about the singularity, z = 2, and find the residue of f(z)

[tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-2)^3} [/tex]c) Evaluate the following integral:

[tex] \int_{0}^{inf} \frac{dx}{(x^2 + a^2)^4} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Given

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I gather that 5+i is the center of the disk of convergence? Doing the ratio test I get,

|4(z-(5+i))^2| < 1

I'm a bit lost how to solve this from here.

b) I don't know how to go about expanding this as a Laurent series. If it were a Taylor series, I would factor out a 1/-2^3 from 1/(z-2)^3 and then expand the remaining 1/(1-z/2) and cube it. But this gives me the expansion about z = 0.c) You can extend this integral to the complex plane and write

∫(closed) 1/(z^2+a^2)^4 dz
where singularities would be z = +or- i a
And choosing the upper half of the semi circle contour, I only have to deal with the +'ve i a

Then using the Residue equation for poles of higher order,
I find that the integral is 2∏(0) = 0.

But I'm not sure its correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karan4496 said:
|4(z-(5+i))^2| < 1
What would the relationship be between |z2| and |z|?
b) I don't know how to go about expanding this as a Laurent series.
Since you need to expand about z=2, I would substitute w=z-2. This should make it more obvious.
I find that the integral is 2∏(0) = 0.
I don't. Pls post your working.

a) The relationship would be,

[tex] |z| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = r [/tex]
&
[tex] |z^2| = |z|^2 = r^2 [/tex]

b) Okay, I got the series expanded by using the substitution.

[tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{2w^3} - \frac{1}{4w^2} + \frac{1}{8w} - ... [/tex]
So, 1/8 is the residue.

c)

I found my mistake on part c)

I took the limit before taking the derivative in the formula for the residues of higher order poles.

Now I get

Res(a i) = 5/(32a^7i)

And setting the integral from -inf to inf equal to 2PI i * Res(a i)
I get 5PI/16a^7

which becomes 5PI/32a^7 since I'm taking integral from 0 to inf instead of -inf to inf and can multiply by 1/2 since its an even function in the integrand.

Last edited:
karan4496 said:
[tex] |z^2| = |z|^2[/tex]
Right, so apply that to |4(z-(5+i))2|
Your b) and c) answers look right.

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions. It involves analyzing the properties and behavior of these numbers and functions, and using them to solve various mathematical problems.

What are some common applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in both pure and applied mathematics. Some common applications include solving differential equations, evaluating integrals, and studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics.

What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These concepts are used to analyze and manipulate complex functions and solve problems in the field.

What are branch cuts in complex analysis?

Branch cuts are discontinuities in complex functions that occur when attempting to define a multi-valued function. These cuts are necessary to avoid ambiguity in the values of the function and can be represented as a line or curve where the function is undefined.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in complex analysis?

To improve your problem-solving skills in complex analysis, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques. Practice solving a variety of problems, and don't be afraid to consult resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for extra help. Additionally, discussing problems with other mathematicians or attending seminars and workshops can also help improve your skills.