Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Complex analysis proof

1. May 26, 2017 #1
    Hello! I have this Proposition: "A harmonic function is infinitely differentiable". The book gives a proof that uses this theorem: "Suppose u is harmonic on a simply-connected region G. Then there exists a harmonic function v in G such that ##f = u + iv## is holomorphic in G. ". In the proof they present in the book they begin with: "Suppose u is harmonic in G and ##z_0 ∈ G##. Let ##r > 0## such that the disk ##D[z_0, r]## is contained in G. " and as a disk is simply connected the conclusion follows from the theorem. My question is, how can you make sure that for any ##z_0 \in G## you can have a disk around ##z_0##? (For example if ##G=\mathbb{C}##\##\mathbb{R}_{<0}## and ##z_0=0##, you can't find such a disk. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typically, these things are only considered in the interior of the set G. Statements about points on the boundary of G would require a lot of conditions and restrictions.

4. May 26, 2017 #3
    they evidently assume ##G## to be an open set:

5. May 26, 2017 #4

martinbn

Science Advisor

Region usually means open and connected.

6. May 26, 2017 #5
    by the way, what is a harmonic function at such a point ##z_0##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted