Complex Analysis and Change of Variables in Line Integrals

G. SchasteenIn summary, the conversation discusses the function g(z(t)) and its relation to the line integral of the complex path integral. It is mentioned that by letting z = c+it, the change of variables results in the line integral being equivalent to i*ln[f(c+it) - a] evaluated from t = -d to t = d. It is advised to be cautious when evaluating this integral and ensure that f(z) does not equal a along the path. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the assistance.
Edwin
Consider the function:

g(z(t)) = i*f '(c+it)/(f(c+it) - a)

Where {-d <= t < d}

If we let z = c+it

By change of variables don't we get:

Line integral of g(z(t)) = i ln[f(c+it) - a]

evaluated from t = - d to t = d?

note: ln is the natural log.

Inquisitively,

Edwin G. Schasteen

Physics news on Phys.org
You may consider the line integral as the complex path integral

[tex]\int_\gamma\, \frac{f'(z)}{f(z)-a}\,dz[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma(t) = c + it[/tex], for [tex]-d\le t\le d[/tex].

Since the integrand has the trivial primitive [tex]G(z) = \ln(f(z)-a)[/tex], you may indeed consider that:

[tex]\int_\gamma\, \frac{f'(z)}{f(z)-a}\,dz \quad = \quad G(c+id) - G(c-id)[/tex]

You should be cautious anyway, since for this integral to be right, it must be [tex]f(z) \ne a[/tex] along [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Assuming that g(z) has no singularities in a domain containing the path [tex]\gamma[/tex], I think you can safely consider the primitive [tex]G(z)[/tex] as correct to compute the integral.

That makes sense.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Best Regards,

Edwin

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex functions and their properties, which have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the basic concepts in complex analysis?

Some of the basic concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, analyticity, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and contour integration.

3. What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

The main difference between real analysis and complex analysis is that real analysis deals with functions of real numbers, while complex analysis deals with functions of complex numbers. Additionally, the techniques and tools used in complex analysis are often more powerful and elegant compared to those used in real analysis.

4. What are the applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in different fields. Some examples include signal processing, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. It is also used in the study of complex systems and in the development of mathematical models.

5. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include power series, Laurent series, residue theory, and conformal mapping. These techniques are used to evaluate complex functions, find their zeros and poles, and analyze their behavior.