1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Question

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    I don't really know which forum to post this in but I just have a quick question:

Is it sufficient to say that a function is analytic on a domain if it has a derivative and the derivative is continuous?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    I believe this from Wikipedia answers your question:

Any analytic function is smooth, that is, infinitely differentiable. The converse is not true; in fact, in a certain sense, the analytic functions are rather sparse compared to the infinitely differentiable functions.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I went to the wikipedia page and saw your post, but also came across this:

It can be proved that any complex function differentiable (in the complex sense) in an open set is analytic.

So it's not true in general, but in a complex context it is (according to wikipedia). Thanks for replying and pointing me to the answer. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook