Analytic Functions and Complex Analysis: Understanding the Relationship

In summary, a function is considered analytic on a domain if it is infinitely differentiable and its derivative is continuous. This is not always true, but in a complex context, it can be proved that any differentiable function is also analytic. Thank you for directing me to the answer.
ultimateceej
I don't really know which forum to post this in but I just have a quick question:

Is it sufficient to say that a function is analytic on a domain if it has a derivative and the derivative is continuous?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe this from Wikipedia answers your question:

Any analytic function is smooth, that is, infinitely differentiable. The converse is not true; in fact, in a certain sense, the analytic functions are rather sparse compared to the infinitely differentiable functions.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the wikipedia page and saw your post, but also came across this:

It can be proved that any complex function differentiable (in the complex sense) in an open set is analytic.

So it's not true in general, but in a complex context it is (according to wikipedia). Thanks for replying and pointing me to the answer. :smile:

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It involves the application of calculus and other mathematical tools to analyze the behavior and properties of complex functions.

2. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis deals with functions of complex variables, while real analysis deals with functions of real variables. Complex analysis also involves the study of complex differentiability and complex integration, which are not present in real analysis.

3. What are some practical applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. It also has applications in signal processing and image processing.

4. What are some important theorems in complex analysis?

Some of the most well-known theorems in complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy's integral theorem and formula, the maximum modulus principle, and the fundamental theorem of algebra.

5. What are the main techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include contour integration, power series, Laurent series, and the residue theorem. These techniques are used to evaluate complex integrals, find the zeros and poles of complex functions, and prove theorems in complex analysis.