Is an Entire Function Satisfying f(z+i)=f(z) and f(z+1)=f(z) Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether an entire function that satisfies f(z+i) = f(z) and f(z+1) = f(z) must be constant. One person suggests applying Liouville's theorem to show that the function is bounded, while the other person wonders about constructing a counterexample.
playa007

Homework Statement

if an entire function satisfies f(z+i)=f(z) and f(z+1)=f(z), must the function be constant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's true that f(0) = f(k) = f(ik) where k is an integer. I'm wondering whether I can apply Liouville's theorem into this somehow or if it's not constant at all on how to construct a counterexample.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...well I think you can show that all of the function values are determined by the function values on a certain compact set. Since the continuous image of a compact set is bounded, the function must be bounded and so you can apply Liouville's theorem.

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the manipulation and study of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze physical systems, design electrical circuits, and develop algorithms for data processing.

What are the main tools and techniques used in complex analysis?

Some of the main tools and techniques used in complex analysis include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem and formula, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the residue theorem. These tools allow for the evaluation of complex integrals and the analysis of complex functions.

What is the difference between a complex function and a real function?

A complex function is a function that takes in complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers, while a real function takes in real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. Complex functions can have more complex behaviors and properties compared to real functions.

What are the most common applications of complex analysis in engineering?

Complex analysis has many applications in engineering, including the analysis of electrical circuits, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design and analysis of control systems and in the study of vibrations and waves.