Determining Path Integral for Function 1/(z-z0)

In summary, the function is not holomorphic on the interior of the circle, so you just need to evaluate this integral without using Cauchy's Theorem.
mikethemike

Homework Statement

Notation: C=complex plane, B=ball, abs= absolute value, iff=If and only if

Given z0 in C and r>0, determine the path integral along r=abs(z-z0) of the function 1/(z-zo).

2. The attempt at a solution
It seems to me I'm being asked to find the value of a path integral (a circle) under a function. So using Cauchy's Theorem implies it is zero iff f is holomorphic. This means I must prove the function is holomorphic, which leads me to the question, what is the difference between a holomorphic function, and one that is continious, and how do I go about illustrating this?

Should this function not be continous, I could use the fact that the initial point of the path integral is equal to the final point and come up with an equation based on primatives.

Any help would be appreciated, as I feel I'm just on the cusp of understanding this stuff.

Thanks,

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, the function is not holomorphic on the interior of the circle, since it's undefined when z=z0. So you just need to evaluate this integral without using Cauchy's Theorem, using the actual definition of a path integral.

It seems to me I'm being asked to find the value of a path integral (a circle) under a function. So using Cauchy's Theorem implies it is zero iff f is holomorphic. This means I must prove the function is holomorphic, which leads me to the question, what is the difference between a holomorphic function, and one that is continious, and how do I go about illustrating this?

A holomorphic function is a function whose complex derivative exists. A continuous function is a function that's just continuous. As an example, the map that takes z to its conjugate is continuous but not holomorphic

mikethemike said:

Homework Statement

Notation: C=complex plane, B=ball, abs= absolute value, iff=If and only if

Given z0 in C and r>0, determine the path integral along r=abs(z-z0) of the function 1/(z-zo).

2. The attempt at a solution
It seems to me I'm being asked to find the value of a path integral (a circle) under a function. So using Cauchy's Theorem implies it is zero iff f is holomorphic. This means I must prove the function is holomorphic
No, it doesn't- this function is obviously NOT holomorphic (or even continuous) inside the circle; it doesn't even exist at z= z0!

Use the parameterization [itex]z= z_0+ re^{i\theta}[/itex] and actually do the integration.

, which leads me to the question, what is the difference between a holomorphic function, and one that is continious, and how do I go about illustrating this?

Should this function not be continous, I could use the fact that the initial point of the path integral is equal to the final point and come up with an equation based on primatives.

Any help would be appreciated, as I feel I'm just on the cusp of understanding this stuff.

Thanks,

Mike

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the manipulation, differentiation, integration, and series representation of functions of complex variables.

2. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis differs from real analysis in that it focuses on functions of complex variables, while real analysis deals with functions of real variables. Complex analysis also has its own set of theorems and techniques that are specific to the study of complex numbers.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and more. It is also essential in the development of mathematical models and algorithms.

4. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equations in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be complex differentiable. They are crucial in the study of complex analysis because they provide a way to determine if a function is analytic, which is a fundamental property in complex analysis.

5. How does complex analysis relate to other branches of mathematics?

Complex analysis has connections to many other branches of mathematics, such as real analysis, trigonometry, and algebra. It is also closely related to geometry, as complex numbers can be represented geometrically on the complex plane. Additionally, complex analysis is used in the study of number theory and the distribution of prime numbers.