1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Question

1. Feb 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Use the polar form of the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that:

g(z) = ln(r) + i(theta); r > 0 and 0 < (theta) < 2pi

is analytic in the given region and find its derivative.

(b) then show that the composite function G(z) = g(z^2 + 1) is analytic in the quadrant x > 0 and y > 0 and find its derivative.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive done part (a) and got the correct answer, but I am having some trouble with (b). The main question I have is, how do I write this composite function? I can write:
    z^2 + 1 as r^2(cos(2(theta)) + 1) + ir^2(sin(2(theta))) but I dont know if that helps me.
    Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2011 #2
    I think we should be a little more careful with our labels,

say we have a complex number [tex]z = re^{i\theta}[/tex], then [tex]z^2 = r^2e^{i2\theta}[/tex], but [tex]z^2 + 1 = \zeta[/tex] will be a new complex number we are examining with a different radius [tex]R[/tex] and phase [tex]\phi[/tex], we can begin with a form [tex]\zeta = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)[/tex], but the form of [tex]g(z)[/tex] is in terms of polar quantities, so it would probably be best to go back to a form [tex]\zeta = Re^{i\phi}[/tex] so you may directly insert those expressions for [tex]R[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] directly into [tex]g(z) \rightarrow g(\zeta ) = g(\R,\phi )[/tex] for [tex]r[/tex] and "[tex]\theta[/tex].

Note that the new parameters [tex]R = R(r)[/tex] and [tex]\phi = \phi (r,\theta )[/tex]. This approach should work I think, where the proof may be furnished by recalling the results for part (a) which proves the analyticity of [tex]z[/tex] itself (i.e. [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] ). I have not thought it through that much, but it sounds ok to me so far.

4. Feb 12, 2011 #3
    What I ended up doing was using the result from part (a), in which I found the derivative of g(z) = 1/z. This implies that the derivative of g(z^2 + 1) = 2z/(z^2 +1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?