Complex Analysis Question

In summary: After doing this, I was then able to find the derivative of g(z^2 + 1) by taking the derivative of (2z/(z^2 +1)) with respect to z.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

(a) Use the polar form of the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that:

g(z) = ln(r) + i(theta); r > 0 and 0 < (theta) < 2pi

is analytic in the given region and find its derivative.

(b) then show that the composite function G(z) = g(z^2 + 1) is analytic in the quadrant x > 0 and y > 0 and find its derivative.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive done part (a) and got the correct answer, but I am having some trouble with (b). The main question I have is, how do I write this composite function? I can write:
z^2 + 1 as r^2(cos(2(theta)) + 1) + ir^2(sin(2(theta))) but I don't know if that helps me.
Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we should be a little more careful with our labels,

say we have a complex number [tex]z = re^{i\theta}[/tex], then [tex]z^2 = r^2e^{i2\theta}[/tex], but [tex]z^2 + 1 = \zeta[/tex] will be a new complex number we are examining with a different radius [tex]R[/tex] and phase [tex]\phi[/tex], we can begin with a form [tex]\zeta = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)[/tex], but the form of [tex]g(z)[/tex] is in terms of polar quantities, so it would probably be best to go back to a form [tex]\zeta = Re^{i\phi}[/tex] so you may directly insert those expressions for [tex]R[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] directly into [tex]g(z) \rightarrow g(\zeta ) = g(\R,\phi )[/tex] for [tex]r[/tex] and "[tex]\theta[/tex].

Note that the new parameters [tex]R = R(r)[/tex] and [tex]\phi = \phi (r,\theta )[/tex]. This approach should work I think, where the proof may be furnished by recalling the results for part (a) which proves the analyticity of [tex]z[/tex] itself (i.e. [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] ). I have not thought it through that much, but it sounds ok to me so far.

What I ended up doing was using the result from part (a), in which I found the derivative of g(z) = 1/z. This implies that the derivative of g(z^2 + 1) = 2z/(z^2 +1)

1. What is Complex Analysis Question?

Complex Analysis Question is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of functions, sequences, and series of complex numbers, as well as the properties and applications of these functions.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. These numbers are used to represent points on a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to study the behavior of electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

4. What are the key concepts in complex analysis?

Some of the key concepts in complex analysis include complex functions, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the Cauchy integral theorem. Other important concepts include power series, Laurent series, and residues.

5. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis differs from real analysis in that it deals with functions of complex numbers, instead of just real numbers. This introduces new concepts, such as analyticity and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which do not have analogues in real analysis. Additionally, the techniques used in complex analysis, such as contour integration, are specific to the study of complex functions.