Residue Calculation for Complex Analysis - Exercise Solution Discrepancy

In summary, the professor's solution is to use the quotient rule to get the coefficient of the linear term of the power series.
iflare
Hello!

I am studing for my Complex Analysis exam and solving the exercises for Residues given by the professor.

The problem is that for some exercises I get to a solution different from the one of the professor :bugeye:, and I am not sure that the mistake is in my calculations.

I would greatly appreciate it, if somebody could solve it and tell me what a solution he/she came up with.

Here is the exercise:
Calculate the residue of the complex-valued function [tex]f(z)[/tex] at [tex]z=-\imath[/tex], as:

[tex]f(z) = \frac{\sin(z)}{(z^2 + 1)^2}[/tex]​

My answer:
[tex]Res(f(z),\imath) = -\frac{1}{4e}[/tex]​
The professor's answer:
[tex]Res(f(z),\imath) = \frac{\imath}{2}\cosh(1)[/tex]​

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what did you get? Post your attempt, and we'll be able to see if you went wrong.

cristo said:
Well, what did you get? Post your attempt, and we'll be able to see if you went wrong.

Thank you for getting involved :smile:, here is what I did, I used the formula:

[tex] Res(f(z), z_0) = \lim_{z \to z_0} \left( \frac{1}{(m-1)!}\, \dfrac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}} \left( (z-z_0)^m f(z) \right)
\right) [/tex]​

where [tex]m[/tex] is the order of the pole, and [tex]z_0[/tex] is the pole.

In the particular case of this exercise,

[tex]
\begin{align*}
m &= 2 \\
z_0 &= -i
\end{align*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
Res(f(z), -i) &= \lim_{z \to z_0} \left( \frac{1}{(m-1)!}\, \dfrac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}} \left( (z-z_0)^m f(z) \right)
\right) \\
&= \lim_{z \to -i}
\left(
\frac{1}{1!} \,
\dfrac{d}{dz} \left( (z+i)^2 f(z) \right)
\right)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
My Calculations

Here are the calculations:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
Res(f(z), -i) &= \lim_{z \to z_0}
\left(
\frac{1}{(m-1)!} \, \dfrac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}} \left( (z-z_0)^m f(z) \right)
\right) \\
&= \lim_{z \to -i}
\left(
\frac{1}{1!} \, \dfrac{d}{dz} \left( (z+i)^2 f(z) \right)
\right) \\
&= \lim_{z \to -i}
\left(
\dfrac{d}{dz} \left( (z+i)^2 \frac{\sin(z)}{(z+i)^2 (z-i)^2} \right)
\right) \\
&= \lim_{z \to -i}
\left(
\dfrac{d}{dz} \left(\frac{\sin(z)}{(z-i)^2} \right)
\right) \\
&= \lim_{z \to -i}
\left(
\dfrac{\cos(z) \cdot (z-i)^2 - \sin(z) \cdot 2(z-i)(z-i)'}{(z-i)^4}
\right) \\
&= \dfrac{\cos(-i) \cdot (-i-i)^2 - \sin(-i) \cdot 2(-i-i)}{(-i-i)^4} = \dfrac{\cos(-i) \cdot 4(-1) +4i \sin(-i)}{(-2i)^4} \\
&= \dfrac{-4\cos(-i) +4i \sin(-i)}{16} = \dfrac{-\cos(-i) +i \sin(-i)}{4} = \dfrac{-\cos(i) -i \sin(i)}{4}\\
&= -\dfrac{\cos(i) + i \sin(i)}{4} = -\dfrac{e^{i \cdot i}}{4}= -\dfrac{e^{-1}}{4} = -\dfrac{1}{4e}\\

\end{align*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
The Professor's Solution

Here is the solution of the professor. This is a screenshot of the page of his lecture notes on which he solves the exercise. In his calculations:
[tex] j=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]​

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
iflare, the fact of the matter is that your prof goofed the derivative and your work is correct.

benorin said:
iflare, the fact of the matter is that your prof goofed the derivative and your work is correct.

That is just great :smile:, thank you very much for the help!

i don't think it's so great that the prof goofed here!

i haven't taught this in a long time, so this may be wrong, but i think the idea is to separate the pole from the holomorphic part at -i.

so we have sin(z)/(z-i)^2 as the holomorphic part and 1/(z+i)^2 as the polar part.

now we want to multiply these together and pick off the coefficient of
1/(z+i)

Now to get the coefficient of 1/(z+i) it seems we just need the derivative of the holo part at -i.

by the quotient rule that should be [cos(z)(z-i) - 2sin(z)]/(z-i)^3, all evaluated at z= -i. yipes!

i.e. -[cos(i)+i sin(i)]/4 = -1/4e,

using the fact that cos(z) = (1/2)[e^z + e^(-z)], etc...

so its much easier than it looks above, but still tedious for me.

Last edited:
did you understand my post? the point was that if you multiply a holomorphic power series by 1/(z-a)^2, the residue at a will be given by the coefficient of the linear term of the powers eries. i.e.all the exponents of (z-a) go down by 2, so the linear etrm becomes the -1 order term.

1. What is complex analysis and how does it relate to residues?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. Residues are a concept in complex analysis that are used to calculate complex integrals and understand the behavior of functions.

2. How are residues calculated?

Residues are calculated by finding the poles of a function, which are points where the function becomes infinite. The residue is then the coefficient of the term with the highest power in the Laurent series expansion around the pole.

3. What is the significance of residues in complex analysis?

Residues are important in complex analysis because they allow us to evaluate complex integrals without having to do a complete contour integration. They also provide information about the behavior of a function near its singularities.

4. Can residues be negative?

No, residues cannot be negative. They are defined as the coefficient of a term in a Laurent series, which can only have non-negative powers of the variable. However, residues can be zero for certain functions.

5. How are residues used in real-world applications?

Residues are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. In physics, they are used to calculate the behavior of electromagnetic fields. In engineering, they are used to solve problems in fluid dynamics and signal processing. In finance, they are used in the Black-Scholes model for options pricing.