Complex Analysis: Theorem Name

In summary, the theorem states that the accumulation points of a meromorphic function are on the boundary of its domain.
nateHI
Hi,

In my textbook the following theorem is designated "Proposition 3.4.2 part (vi)". There are 6 parts total in the overall theorem. I'll just type the part I'm interested in below. My question is, is there a more standard name for this theorem? I would like to find an additional introduction to it if possible.

Let ##f## be meromorphic on the open connected set ##\Omega\subseteq \hat{\mathbb{C}}## and let ##A## be the set of its poles in ##\Omega##. Then:
(a) ##A## is a countable set.
(b) The accumulation points of ##A## are on the boundary of ##\Omega##.
(c) The set ##\Omega \setminus A## is open.
(d) If ##K## is a compact subset of ##\Omega##, then ##A\cap K## is a finite set.

Physics news on Phys.org
all this follows just from the definition of a pole, since poles are isolated.

mathwonk said:
all this follows just from the definition of a pole, since poles are isolated.

Agreed. For example, for (a), it's not difficult to show that there is a finite set around each pole and then use the fact that the union of finite sets are countable.

I'm looking for an additional introduction to meromorphic functions that includes this theorem. Any suggestions?

I am not sure what you are looking for. Could you tell us why you want another source for this theorem? We might be able to help you more then.

Anyway, the theorem looks a lot like the "identity theorem" for complex analysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theorem This is not a coincidence, it can be explained by using Riemann surfaces.

micromass said:
Could you tell us why you want another source for this theorem? We might be able to help you more then.

Sure. The books introduction to meromorphic functions is scattered throughout the text and relies on a separate section on the Riemann Sphere to build an intuition for ##\hat{\mathbb{C}}##. The instructor doesn't like the use of the Riemann Sphere and told the class he would skip that section. I'd like to look for an introduction more in line with the professors teaching method but don't want to bother him with questions I can probably figure out on my own. He spent an entire class talking about that theorem so any book that covers it will probably be in line with his preferred teaching method.

Just use the result that every uncountable subset of the plane has a limit point ( using Weirstrass' result that every bounded infinite subset has a limit point), and then a non-zero holomorphic function cannot have a limit point for its set of roots, and , like mathfunk said, poles cannot either.

On second thought, this might be a good question for the professor after all. You can disregard unless you already found something.

Thanks anyway.

my point is this set of facts is so trivially derivable from the one fact that a pole is isolated, that it cannot be called a theorem. I.e. this is not a theorem these are "obvious consequences iof the definition". As such there is no guarantee they will appear explicitly in any other book. A true theorem is something like the residue theorem, or the argument principle.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations theorem?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations theorem states that a complex function is differentiable at a point if and only if it satisfies a set of partial differential equations known as the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function at that point.

What is the Cauchy's integral theorem?

Cauchy's integral theorem states that if a function is holomorphic (complex differentiable) in a simply connected domain, then the integral of that function over a closed curve in that domain is equal to 0. This theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis and has many applications.

What is the Maximum Modulus theorem?

The Maximum Modulus theorem states that if a function is holomorphic on a closed and bounded region, then the maximum value of the absolute value of that function occurs on the boundary of that region. This theorem is useful in finding the maximum or minimum values of a complex function within a given region.

What is the Open Mapping theorem?

The Open Mapping theorem states that a non-constant holomorphic function maps open sets to open sets. In other words, if a function is holomorphic in a certain region, then the image of an open subset of that region will also be an open set. This theorem is important in understanding the behavior of holomorphic functions.

What is the Laurent series theorem?

The Laurent series theorem states that any complex function which is analytic in an annulus (a region between two concentric circles) can be expressed as an infinite sum of powers of z. This series is known as the Laurent series and can be used to calculate the function's behavior near singularities or branch points.