1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to solve this follow problem, but don't quite know how to go about getting Arg(z).

z = 6 / (1 + 4i)

I got that lzl is sqrt((6/17)^2+(-24/17)^2) but am stuck with finding Arg(z). It told me to recall that -pi < Arg(z) <= pi

Can you guys teach me how to go about finding arrrggg... this Arg(z)?

TIA.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there any sort of number for which you know how to compute Arg?

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    This Arg(z) thing is new to me, so no. I'm trying to find out what it is. Thanks.

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
    I found this on Google:

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line representing the complex number on an Argand diagram. It is denoted arg (z)

So Arg(z) is pretty much just the angle theta that r makes with the x-axis?

Assuming that arg(z) is not case sensitive, then is it simply arctan(-4) in this case?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  6. Oct 6, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this case, yes, Arg(z) = Arctan(-4). (but be wary; for some z, Arg(z) cannot equal the Arctangent of anything at all! You have to make sure you take the right value for the arctangent)

Arg/arg is case sensitive, just like other complex functions. arg is a "multi-valued function", whereas Arg picks out a specific value.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    Thank you so much Hurkyl... your help is much appreciated! In the meantime, I also found this page, which led me to believe that I was right. Your reply, however, gave a positive confirmation of my guess. Thanks again - now I have a much better grasp of this concept.

Yang

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?