1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    Can anyone help with these problems

1). use def. delta epsilon proof to prove lim(z goes to z0) Re(z)=Re(z0)

This is what I did |Re(z)-Re(z0)| = |x-x0| < epsilon then |z-z0|=|x-iy-x0-iy0|=|x-x0+i(y-y0)|<=|x-x0|+|y-y0|=epsilon + |y-y0| = delta
    My question is doesn't this delta have to be a function of epsilon so is it alright to write it with this |y-y0| value in there? I don't see how to do it otherwise

2). lim(z goes to z0) conjugate of z = conjugate of z0

the way I see this problem as since the conjugate is just a reflection over the real axis then the delta value would be the same as the epsilon value because the points are the same distance away |z-z0|=|conjugate(z)-conjugate(z0)|
    but how exactly would you go about writing this as a formal proof?

3). One interpretation of a function w=f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y) is that of a vector field in the domain of definition of f. The function assigns a vector w, with components u(x,y) and v(x,y), to each point z at which it is defined. Indicate graphically the vector fields represented by
    a) w=iz
    b). w=z/|z|

for a) I have u(x,y) = -y and v(x,y)=x and for b) I have
    u(x,y)=x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and v(x,y)=y/sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
    my question is how do you show graphically this vector field which I think is just the image without a domain?

thanks for any help

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?