1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Complex Analysis

Show that [tex]\mbox{Re}\left(\frac{Re^{i\theta}+r}{Re^{i\theta}-r}\right)=\frac{R^2-r^2}{R^2-2Rr\cos\theta+r^2}[/tex] where R is the radius of a disc.

I was able to show this for all real values of r. However, the problem doesn't specify whether r is real or complex. After expanding the left side using [tex]Re^{i\theta}=R\cos\theta+iR\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]r=a+ib[/tex], I got

which, as far as I know, is not equal to the right hand side of the above equation.

Intuitively, I also believe that this statement is not correct for non-real values of r since the LHS is a real value and the RHS has, at least, [tex]r^2[/tex] in the numerator and [tex]r^2[/tex] is, in general, not real for r not real.

Am I right in assuming this only holds for real-valued r?

Thanks. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    I can't see why r would denote a complex number considering the universal notation is z. Obviously the r's would be replaced by |r|'s in such a case and [itex]\theta[/itex] would be replaced with something like [itex]\theta + \angle r[/itex] (as you found using rectangular form).
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    Right, but the question didn't specify, so I was worried...
    Is that not necessary? Is it okay to assume that r always denotes a real number?

In any case, am I correct in saying that the statement is false for non-real values of r?

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    You showed it was false. Just by inspection of the numerator, [itex]r^2 \neq a^2 + b^2 = |r|^2[/itex] for complex r
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Thanks. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?