Complex Analysis: Show RHS=LHS for Real r?

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving complex analysis, specifically showing the equality of two expressions involving the radius of a disc. The problem did not specify whether the radius is a real or complex number. However, after expanding the left side using real and imaginary components, it was found that the statement is not true for non-real values of the radius. The conversation also discusses the use of notation for complex numbers and concludes that the statement is false for non-real values of the radius.
jjou
[SOLVED] Complex Analysis

Show that [tex]\mbox{Re}\left(\frac{Re^{i\theta}+r}{Re^{i\theta}-r}\right)=\frac{R^2-r^2}{R^2-2Rr\cos\theta+r^2}[/tex] where R is the radius of a disc.

I was able to show this for all real values of r. However, the problem doesn't specify whether r is real or complex. After expanding the left side using [tex]Re^{i\theta}=R\cos\theta+iR\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]r=a+ib[/tex], I got

[tex]\frac{R^2-a^2-b^2}{R^2-2R(a\cos\theta+b\sin\theta)+a^2+b^2}[/tex]

which, as far as I know, is not equal to the right hand side of the above equation.

Intuitively, I also believe that this statement is not correct for non-real values of r since the LHS is a real value and the RHS has, at least, [tex]r^2[/tex] in the numerator and [tex]r^2[/tex] is, in general, not real for r not real.

Am I right in assuming this only holds for real-valued r?

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see why r would denote a complex number considering the universal notation is z. Obviously the r's would be replaced by |r|'s in such a case and [itex]\theta[/itex] would be replaced with something like [itex]\theta + \angle r[/itex] (as you found using rectangular form).

Last edited:
Right, but the question didn't specify, so I was worried...
Is that not necessary? Is it okay to assume that r always denotes a real number?

In any case, am I correct in saying that the statement is false for non-real values of r?

Thanks.

You showed it was false. Just by inspection of the numerator, [itex]r^2 \neq a^2 + b^2 = |r|^2[/itex] for complex r

Thanks. :)

1. What is Complex Analysis and why is it important?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is important because it has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is the difference between real and complex numbers?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers. A complex number, on the other hand, is a number that can be written in the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

3. What is the meaning of LHS and RHS in complex analysis?

LHS stands for "left-hand side" and RHS stands for "right-hand side". In complex analysis, these terms are used to refer to the expressions on the left and right sides of an equation, respectively.

4. How do you show that the RHS equals the LHS for a real value of r?

In order to show that the RHS equals the LHS for a real value of r, you would need to use the properties of complex numbers and their functions, along with basic algebraic manipulations. This would involve substituting the real value of r into the equation and simplifying both sides to show that they are equal.

5. What are some common applications of complex analysis in real life?

Complex analysis has many practical applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing alternating current circuits, in signal processing for analyzing signals with both real and imaginary components, and in fluid mechanics for studying the flow of fluids with complex velocity fields.