1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    Hi.
    I need to show that for all [tex]|z|\leq1 [/tex]:

[tex] (3-e)|z|\leq|e^{z}-1|\leq(e-1)|z|[/tex]
    Now
    [tex]|e^{z}-1|=\left|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{z^{n}}{n!}\right|\leq\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\left|\frac{z^{n}}{n!}\right|=|z|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{\left|z\right|^{n-1}}{n!}\leq|z|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{1}{n!}=\left(\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{n!}-1\right)|z|=(e-1)|z|[/tex]

So the upper bound is done. I have no idea how to do the lower bound. I have tried different techniques but just can't seem to get it.
    Please someone help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    Start with
    [tex] |e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)| \ge \ldots [/tex]

4. Jun 22, 2008 #3
    AHHh

[tex]|e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)|=|z-(1+z-e^z)|\ge|z|-\left|-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{z^n}{n!}\right|= |z|-|z|\left|\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{z^{n-1}}{n!}\right|\ge\left(1-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{|z|^{n-1}}{n!}\right)|z|[/tex]
    [tex]\ge\left(1-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{1}{n!}\right)|z|=(1-(e-2))|z|=(3-e)|z|[/tex]

Brilliant how did you come up with the initial inequality:

[tex]|e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)|[/tex]

5. Jun 22, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure I can explain where I got the idea from. The first step was to guess that you have to start by using the inequality [itex] |a+b| \ge |a| - |b| [/itex], because that's one of the few inequalities I know that give a lower bound of the absolute vale of something. Then the trick is to choose a and b properly. To get something useful, [itex] |b| [/itex] had better be small. And 1+z are the first two terms of the Taylor series for e^z, so [itex] |e^z-z-1| [/itex] is small (if z is close to zero). Furthermore, [itex] b=e^z-z-1[/itex] implies that a=z, so you get a term |z| which looked promising.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?