Complex Analysis: Proving Bounds for |e^z-1|

In summary: Putting all this together suggests you might get something out of the inequality |a+b| \ge |a| - |b| where a=z and b=e^z-z-1. And indeed, that's what happened.
the1ceman
Hi.
I need to show that for all [tex]|z|\leq1 [/tex]:

[tex] (3-e)|z|\leq|e^{z}-1|\leq(e-1)|z|[/tex]
Now
[tex]|e^{z}-1|=\left|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{z^{n}}{n!}\right|\leq\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\left|\frac{z^{n}}{n!}\right|=|z|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{\left|z\right|^{n-1}}{n!}\leq|z|\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{1}{n!}=\left(\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{n!}-1\right)|z|=(e-1)|z|[/tex]

So the upper bound is done. I have no idea how to do the lower bound. I have tried different techniques but just can't seem to get it.
Please someone help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start with
[tex] |e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)| \ge \ldots [/tex]

AHHh

[tex]|e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)|=|z-(1+z-e^z)|\ge|z|-\left|-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{z^n}{n!}\right|= |z|-|z|\left|\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{z^{n-1}}{n!}\right|\ge\left(1-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{|z|^{n-1}}{n!}\right)|z|[/tex]
[tex]\ge\left(1-\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac{1}{n!}\right)|z|=(1-(e-2))|z|=(3-e)|z|[/tex]

Brilliant how did you come up with the initial inequality:

[tex]|e^z-1| = |z + (e^z-z-1)|[/tex]

I'm not sure I can explain where I got the idea from. The first step was to guess that you have to start by using the inequality [itex] |a+b| \ge |a| - |b| [/itex], because that's one of the few inequalities I know that give a lower bound of the absolute vale of something. Then the trick is to choose a and b properly. To get something useful, [itex] |b| [/itex] had better be small. And 1+z are the first two terms of the Taylor series for e^z, so [itex] |e^z-z-1| [/itex] is small (if z is close to zero). Furthermore, [itex] b=e^z-z-1[/itex] implies that a=z, so you get a term |z| which looked promising.

Last edited:

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It includes concepts such as differentiation, integration, and series, but with complex variables and their properties.

What is meant by proving bounds for |e^z-1|?

In complex analysis, proving bounds for |e^z-1| involves finding a range of possible values for the absolute value of the function e^z-1. This can be accomplished by using various techniques, such as the triangle inequality and the maximum modulus principle.

Why is it important to prove bounds for |e^z-1|?

Proving bounds for |e^z-1| is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function e^z-1 and its relationship to other complex functions. It also helps us to determine the convergence or divergence of complex series and integrals.

What are some common techniques used to prove bounds for |e^z-1|?

Some common techniques used to prove bounds for |e^z-1| include the Cauchy integral formula, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Other techniques such as the argument principle and Rouche's theorem can also be used.

Can proving bounds for |e^z-1| be applied to other complex functions?

Yes, the techniques used to prove bounds for |e^z-1| can be applied to other complex functions as well. These techniques are fundamental tools in complex analysis and can be used to study a wide range of complex functions and their properties.