Complex Analysis: Finding an Analytic Function for Re(z)=1-x-2xy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytic function with a given real part and the steps taken to solve it. The initial thought was to set U(x,y) = 1 - x - 2xy and solve for V(x,y) through the use of partial derivatives. However, this approach did not seem to work. The conversation then explores using the fact that the real part of a function can be expressed as (z + zbar)/2 and the application of the Riemann conditions. Finally, the conversation concludes with the understanding that there can be multiple correct answers for this problem.
john88
hi

I want to find an analytic funktion if Re(z) = 1 - x - 2xy

My initial thought was to set U(x,y) = 1 - x - 2xy and then solve for V(x,y) through
du/dx = dv/dy but it doesn't seem to go as far as I am concernd.

Then I thought about the fact that Re(z) = (z + zbar)/2 and then work from there but I can't figure out how.

My book says: 1 - z + iz^2 + iC, CeR

Physics news on Phys.org
Riemember the Riemann conditions: if f(x+ iy)= u(x,y)+ iv(x,y) then
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

If Re(f(z))= u(x,y)= 1- x- 2xy, then
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}= -1- 2y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}= -2x[/tex]
You can find v from that. There are many correct answers.

ok I got it! ty...I was alittle confused by the answer.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the use of calculus and algebra to understand properties and behavior of these functions.

2. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of each point in its domain. It is also known as a regular function because it is differentiable at every point in its domain.

3. How do you find an analytic function for a given real-valued function?

To find an analytic function for a given real-valued function, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations which state that for a function to be analytic, it must satisfy a set of partial differential equations. We can use these equations to determine the corresponding complex function.

4. What is the significance of the equation Re(z) = 1-x-2xy in complex analysis?

The equation Re(z) = 1-x-2xy represents a level curve in the complex plane. This means that all the points on the curve have the same real part, which is given by the right side of the equation. In complex analysis, level curves are important in understanding the behavior of analytic functions.

5. What is the process for finding an analytic function for a specific level curve?

The process for finding an analytic function for a specific level curve involves using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine the corresponding complex function. We can then simplify the equation and rearrange it to find the analytic function in terms of the given level curve.