Complex Analysis Homework: Proving Equation w/ Cauchy's Integral Formula

In summary: Now, using Taylor development, you can show that the red equation is also true. In summary, the question is asking you to prove the red equation by first proving the green equation using Cauchy's Integral Formula, and then using Taylor development to show the validity of the red equation.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
Look at this question please.
I have two paths, and I need to proof the thing in red.
They give a tip due, they say to show first that the equation in green is correct and then using Taylor development, to proof the red equation.
I'm still in the first phase, in the green equation. I know it got something to do with Cauchy's integral formula but I can't see how...:confused:
Any idea guys?

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the question correctly, then you are trying to prove that the equation in green is correct using Cauchy's Integral Formula. To do this, you first need to understand what Cauchy's Integral Formula is and how it works. Cauchy's Integral Formula states that if a complex function f(z) has a continuous derivative on a simple closed contour C, then the integral of the function around the path will be equal to 2πi times the sum of all the residues of the function inside the contour. That is, \int_C f(z) \ dz = 2 \pi i \sum_{z_0 \in C} Res[f,z_0] Now let's take a look at the equation in green. It says that the integral of the complex function f(z) along the contour C is equal to the integral of its derivative, f'(z), along the same contour. This can be written as \int_C f(z) \ dz = \int_C f'(z) \ dz Using Cauchy's Integral Formula, we can rewrite this as 2 \pi i \sum_{z_0 \in C} Res[f,z_0] = 2 \pi i \sum_{z_0 \in C} Res[f',z_0] Which is equivalent to saying that the sum of the residues of f(z) is equal to the sum of the residues of f'(z). This is true for any simple closed contour C, so the equation in green holds.

1. What is Complex Analysis and why is it important?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables. It has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving complex functions and has a wide range of applications in various fields.

2. What is Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the value of a complex function at a point inside a region to the values of the function on the boundary of that region. It states that for a complex function that is analytic (differentiable) within a simple closed contour, the value of the function at any point inside the contour is equal to the average value of the function on the contour.

3. How is Cauchy's Integral Formula used in proving equations?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is used to prove equations by evaluating the integral of a function along a contour and using the properties of analytic functions. By using this formula, equations involving complex functions can be transformed into simpler forms, making them easier to solve.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving equations with Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Some common techniques used in proving equations with Cauchy's Integral Formula include applying the Cauchy-Riemann equations, using the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, and using the Cauchy integral theorem. These techniques help in simplifying the equations and evaluating the integrals more easily.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing Complex Analysis homework involving Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Some tips for successfully completing Complex Analysis homework involving Cauchy's Integral Formula include practicing with various examples, understanding the properties and theorems related to complex functions, and seeking help from the instructor or classmates if needed. It is also important to carefully read the problem and plan a strategy before attempting to solve it.