Complex Analysis 2nd Ed. by Stephen D. Fisher: Q&A

In summary, The conversation is about someone studying complex analysis and asking for help with understanding the Variation of Maximum Principle. They discuss the cases of complex-valued and real-valued functions and use the fact that a harmonic function on a domain can be expressed as the sum of another harmonic function and an analytic function in order to prove the statement. The book suggests using the mean-value property to prove the statement.
becu
Hi,
I'm studying complex analysis right now, I would like to use this thread to ask questions when I read books. Many questions will be very stupid, so please bear with me.
Also, English is my second language.

text: Complex Analysis (2nd edition)
author: Stephen D. Fisher

[question deleted] this first question is very stupid. i figured it out. thank you. i will come back for other questions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Variation of Maximum principle: "If u(x,y) is harmonic and nonconstant on a domain D, then |u(x,y)| has no local maximum in D". the proof of this is left as an exercise. i want to prove it.

case 1: u(x,y) is complex-valued function, then since u is harmonic, it is analytic on D. By the Maximum Modulus Principle, |u| has no local max in D
case 2: u(x,y) is real-valued function, then u has no local max and no local min in D. How do you go from this to |u|?

Thanks.

If u is harmonic on D, then there exist another harmonic function, v(x,y), such that f(z)= u(z)+ iv(z) where z= x+ iy, is analytic on D.

HallsofIvy said:
If u is harmonic on D, then there exist another harmonic function, v(x,y), such that f(z)= u(z)+ iv(z) where z= x+ iy, is analytic on D.

Not true 100%. For example [itex]D=\mathbb{C}\backslash\{0\}[/itex] and [itex]u(z)=\log |z|[/itex].

True! I was assuming a simply connected domain.

HallsofIvy said:
then? we're using this fact to prove when the case u is complex-valued function right? I got that part down, put I'm stuck when u is real-valued function.

actually when I read further down, the book suggest to use mean-value property to prove above statement.

1. What is the purpose of studying complex analysis?

The purpose of studying complex analysis is to understand the properties and behavior of functions of complex numbers. It is also used to solve problems in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as in calculus and differential equations.

2. What are the main topics covered in Complex Analysis 2nd Ed. by Stephen D. Fisher?

The main topics covered in Complex Analysis 2nd Ed. by Stephen D. Fisher include complex numbers, complex functions, differentiation and integration of complex functions, power series, Cauchy's theorem, and conformal mapping.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners in complex analysis?

This book is suitable for readers with a basic understanding of calculus and complex numbers. It provides a comprehensive introduction to complex analysis with clear explanations and examples, making it accessible for beginners.

4. Are there any applications of complex analysis in real life?

Yes, complex analysis has various applications in real life, such as in electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in solving problems in quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Does the book include exercises for practice?

Yes, Complex Analysis 2nd Ed. by Stephen D. Fisher includes numerous exercises at the end of each chapter for readers to practice and test their understanding of the material. Solutions to selected exercises are also provided at the end of the book.