Prove Standard Formulae for cos(theta+phi) & sin(theta+phi)

In summary, to prove the standard formulae for cos(theta+phi) and sin(theta+phi), you can expand e^{i(\phi+\theta)}=cos(\phi+\theta)+isin(\phi+\theta) and match the real and imaginary parts to obtain the correct trig identities.
metgt4

Homework Statement

By considering the real and imaginary parts of the product eithetaeiphi, prove the standard formulae for cos(theta+phi) and sin(theta+phi)

Homework Equations

The standard formula for:
cos(theta+phi) = cos(theta)cos(phi) - sin(theta)sin(phi)
sin(theta+phi) = sin(theta)cos(phi) + sin(phi)cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

from hereon out, let's let t=theta and p=phi. I can't figure out how to put the symbols in there on this site

ei(t+p) = [cos(t) + isin(t)] [cos(p) + isin(p)]

= cos(t)cos(p) - sin(t)sin(p) + isin(t)cos(p) + isin(p)cos(t)

REAL PART = cos(t)cos(p) - sin(t)sin(p)
IMAGINARY PART = isin(t)cos(p) + isin(p)cos(t)

but I can't use the trig identities because I have to prove them. I'm probably not going in the right direction, but if somebody could point me in the right way, that would be great!

Thanks!
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
You could then expand [tex]e^{i(\phi+\theta)}=cos(\phi+\theta)+isin(\phi+\theta)[/tex] by just considering phi+theta to be collectively x in the Euler's formula. If you match the real and imaginary parts you should get the correct trig identities.

1. What is the standard formula for cos(theta+phi)?

The standard formula for cos(theta+phi) is cos(theta)cos(phi) - sin(theta)sin(phi).

2. What is the standard formula for sin(theta+phi)?

The standard formula for sin(theta+phi) is sin(theta)cos(phi) + cos(theta)sin(phi).

3. How do you prove the standard formula for cos(theta+phi)?

To prove the standard formula for cos(theta+phi), you can use the cosine sum formula: cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B). Substitute theta and phi for A and B, and you will get the standard formula.

4. Can the standard formula for cos(theta+phi) be derived from any other trigonometric identities?

Yes, the standard formula for cos(theta+phi) can be derived from the Pythagorean identity: cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1. By substituting theta and phi for x, you can manipulate the equation to get the standard formula.

5. How is the standard formula for sin(theta+phi) helpful in solving trigonometric equations?

The standard formula for sin(theta+phi) allows us to express the sine function of a sum of two angles in terms of the sine and cosine of the individual angles. This is helpful in simplifying and solving trigonometric equations involving sums of angles.