1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Hi All,

I am trying to learn complex analysis on my own and for this I have chosen Fundamentals of Complex Analysis by Saff and Snider. I am stuck at the last question in section 1.3 which is as follows.

For the linkage illustrated in the figure, use complex variables to outline a scheme for expressing the angular position, velocity and acceleration of arm c in terms of those of arm a.

As an attempt to the solution, this is what I have thought of so far.

Let the arm a be dictated by the complex variable Za, similarly Zb for b and Zc for c. Also since the distance between the bottom of a and c is fixed (a + b - c), we can say

Za + Zb = Zc + (a+b-c). (Parallelogram law)

However I am not sure of what comes next as I am not sure what Zb is. How can i proceed? To express Zc with respect to Za, I will somehow need to know what Zb is in terms of Za. But how do I do that?

The figure is in this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=547863

SMK.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?