1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    compute

I=∫_2^∞ (1/(x(x-2)^.5)) dx

using the calculus of residues. be sure to choose an appropriate contour and to explain what happens on each part of that contour.

2. Relevant equations

transform to a complex integral

I= ∮ (1/(z(z-2)^.5)) dz

3. The attempt at a solution

i don't even know where to really begin. i keep ending up dividing by zero

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2
    First make sure you have it clearly expressed as in:

[tex]\int_2^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x-2}}[/tex]

So how about use a key-hole contour that begins above the real-axis at x=2, travels down it to infinity, loops all the way round to right below the real axis at infinity, travles down the axis to 2 again, then loops around 2. That's a closed contour and I'll write the contour integral around that as:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{K}\frac{dz}{z\sqrt{z-2}}[/tex]

Now, can you analyze the integral over each leg of that contour (I count 4 distinct legs, two horizontal ones, that big circular one, and that real small one around 2). Keep in mind that the horizontal legs are over a branch-cut of the square root function so on top, it's one value of the branch say [itex]\sqrt{z-2}[/itex] and on bottom, it's the other value, [itex]-\sqrt{z-2}[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    ok i did so, so it the contour breaks up into for parts, Jo + JI + Jtop+ Jbottom where Jo means the outer part of the contour and JI is the inner part to the contour. Jo=JI=0. now i just do the calculus of residues on the Jtop and Jbottom, whic are

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

and

[itex]\int\frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

this since the bounds are flipped, the negative sign can be cancelled and the bounds are the same allowing me to add them,

2[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

i know that there is only one sing. in my contour which is z= 0. so

2[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]=2*pi*i Ʃ residues

residue= lim[itex]z\rightarrow 0[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{z^{2}-2}}[/itex]

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4
    thanks btw

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook