1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each of the following functions f(z), find f'(z) and identify the maximal region for which f(z) is analytic.

1. [itex]f(z)=1/(z^2+1)[/itex]
    2. [itex]f(z)=e^{-1/z}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. [itex]f'(z)=\frac{-2z}{(z^2+1)^2}[/itex] <--this part is easy. I'm having difficulty being certain of the maximum region for analyticity. Here is my attempt.

f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f'(z) is undefined there.

Is that a true stament or is the correct statement ... f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f(z) is undefined there.

2. [itex]f'(z)=\frac{e^{-1/z}}{z^2}[/itex] <--this part is easy. I'm having difficulty being certain of the maximum region for analyticity. Here is my attempt.

f(z) is analytic everywhere but 0 because f'(z) is undefined there. However, f(z) is analytic at infinity.

Is that a true stament or is the correct statement ... f(z) is analytic everywhere but 0 because f(z) is undefined there. However, f(z) is analytic at infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2
    The short answer is that you are correct.

In the future the simplest way to approach these problems is to remember the definition of analytic:

Definition: A function ##f(z)## is analytic at a point ##z_{o}## if ##lim_{z \rightarrow z_{o}} \frac{f(z) - f(z_{o})}{z - z_{o}} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(z_{o} + h) - f(z_{o})}{h}##.

The maximal region for which ##f(z)## is analytic will be the entire complex plane with any singularities removed (read: with the places it is undefined removed.

For example, for your second function we can write:

The function ##f(z) = e^{\frac{-1}{z}}## is analytic on ℂ - {0}.

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The first statement is the one you want. There's a theorem that says if a function is complex differentiable at a point, it's analytic at that point. Just because a function exists at a point doesn't mean it's analytic there.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4
    I don't think so huh vela? Doesn't it have to be complex-differentiable in some disc centered at the point in order for it to be analytic at that point?

6. Sep 16, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted